This homemade Taco Seasoning recipe is so much better than store bought, and is great for so much more than just tacos.
It’s a well rounded combination of herbs and spices that you can use for meats or veggies, or for seasoning soups, beans, and so much more.
Just a quick 5 minute mix of some pantry staples is all it takes…
Making your own seasoning blends is the way to go. They’re so much fresher than those store bought mixes, which are mostly just salt anyway.
Today, we’re sharing one of our other favorites… taco seasoning!
Why We Love this Homemade Taco Seasoning
- It’s customizable. Want it spicier? Add more chili flakes. Herbier? Ramp up the oregano. It’s your seasoning!
- You control the sodium. Most store bought mixes are basically just flavored salt.
- The recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc.
- It stores well. If you have an airtight jar, it can last for months.
- There are so many uses for it. We’ll share some of our favorites later in the post.
Taco Seasoning Recipe Ingredients
- Chili Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Chili Flakes
How to Make Taco Seasoning
It’s just a simple matter of measuring all of the ingredients and mixing them together.
Transfer your seasoning to an airtight spice jar or mason jar, if you are making a large quantity.
NOTE: The measurements in the recipe card make enough taco seasoning for 1 pound of ground meat. Adjust recipe amounts as needed.
How to Use Taco Seasoning
It goes great as a general purpose seasoning. Think meats, veggies, rice dishes, eggs or beans.
You can store this up to 6 months in an airtight spice jar. It doesn’t really expire, but it loses it’s freshness and vibrancy after some time.
For best results, keep it in a pantry out of direct sunlight.
The next time you’re craving tacos, go fresh. Go homemade. You’ll be thrilled at the depth of flavor when you take that first bite.
We’re all about bringing you the best flavors from all around the world. So be sure to subscribe to the GypsyPlate mailing list to stay in the loop. Until next time… taco, taco!
Taco Seasoning, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika (we use smoked)
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- If making more than you are using immediately, store remaining in an airtight container.
- This recipe amount is for seasoning one pound of meat. Adjust measurements as needed.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.