This homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe is the best ever! Creamy, cozy, and oh so cheesy, it’s so much better than any store bought soup. And it’s so easy!
Broccoli and cheese are a classic combination, and once you try this recipe, you’ll see why.
All you need is a few basic ingredients to make one of the most delicious soups you’ll ever eat. Trust me, you’re going to crave this one from time to time…
Spring is on the horizon, but there’s still enough of a nip in the air at times that we can still call this soup season. And we’ve cooked some great ones this year like Taco Soup, Hungarian Goulash, and New England Clam Chowder.
Broccoli cheddar is one soup you’ve probably had before. It’s a staple on restaurant menus, at those soup bars in the grocery store, and of course there’s a bunch of canned brands out there.
Our recipe is inspired by the broccoli cheddar soup from Panera’s, where it’s one of the most popular menu items. But this homemade version is so much better…
Why this Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe is the BEST
- It’s made with good ingredients. No artificial seasonings or thickeners, just basic stuff.
- No more soggy broccoli. Seriously, that stuff you get in restaurants and grocery stores is sitting for hours, and the broccoli turns into tasteless mush.
- You can whip it up in about 30 minutes. This isn’t one of those soups that require a lot of simmering, so it’s a perfect last minute weeknight option.
- It’s a family friendly meal. Even the kiddos won’t mind eating their veggies.
- The flavor combination is just perfect!
Ingredients for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Aromatics – Onion and garlic.
- Flour – All purpose.
- Chicken stock – The base. You can use vegetable stock too.
- Half and half – To make it creamy.
- Veggies – Carrot and, of course, broccoli.
- Seasonings – Paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cheddar cheese – Shredded. We prefer sharp.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
1. Sauté the aromatics: Melt butter in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and cook a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
2. Make a roux: Add in flour. Stir well until a smooth roux forms.
3. Form the base of the soup: Add in chicken stock, veggies and seasonings. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until broccoli can be easily pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes.
4: Add the finishing touches: Stir in shredded cheese and half & half. Cook till cheese has fully melted. Taste and adjust for seasonings. Serve with additional shredded cheddar on top.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheddar Soup
As with almost any soup, some nice warm bread is a great accompaniment. Our No Knead Bread is so easy, and goes perfectly with broccoli cheddar soup.
Sometimes we like a salad on the side. It’s hard to beat a good Caesar Salad.
- Bulk it up by adding pasta. Think tortellini or small shapes like bow ties or orzo. Or, add in some gnocchi or rice.
- Add in some protein. Diced ham or rotisserie chicken go great here.
- Ramp up the veggie power. You can add cauliflower, spinach or mushrooms into the mix.
- Give it a little kick. A teaspoon or two of Creole Seasoning gives it a whole new flavor profile.
Leftovers and Storage
Refrigerate leftover broccoli cheddar soup in a covered container for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat, or in the microwave.
We don’t recommend freezing this soup, as the consistency will be off when reheated.
Try this easy broccoli cheddar soup at home, it’s so good on chilly nights. If you’re new to homemade soups, you’ll be amazed at what a big upgrade they are over store bought.
Save or pin this great recipe, so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups half & half
- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and cook a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Add in flour. Stir well until a smooth roux forms.
- Add in chicken or vegetable stock, veggies and seasonings. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until broccoli can be easily pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese and half & half. Cook till cheese has fully melted. Taste and adjust for seasonings.
- Serve with additional shredded cheddar on top.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 633Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 27gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 134mgSodium 994mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 5gSugar 11gProtein 26g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.