Who can really resist loaded Taco Soup on any day? Here is the best and easiest Taco Soup Recipe ever.
This hearty ground beef soup is perfectly seasoned with easy homemade taco seasoning, and has all the right Tex-Mex flavors along with veggies, corn and beans. In the end, all you need to do is make it irresistible by simply topping it with creamy avocado, some cilantro, jalapeño, tortilla strips and lots of shredded cheese.
Easy and quick one pot meal for any day. Whenever you think of tacos, just serve it in a bowl in a soupified form… So delicious!!
Seriously we absolute love anything that starts with the word “Taco”. Our Taco Casserole, Taco Skillet, and of course our Ground Beef Tacos!! They are simply finger licking fun meals loaded with all the Tex-Mex flavors that we love.
This thick and hearty taco soup is no exception. It’s brimming with zesty flavors and loaded with great toppings that really enhance the whole experience.
Taco soup is like your chili, maybe a little soupier. Same concept of meat and beans in a tomato base, just a different flavor profile and some added Mexican staple ingredients and veggies.
We Absolutely Love this Taco Soup, Why?
- It’s a quick one pot meal, simply throw all the ingredients together and let it simmer. No extra pans or dishes to clean.
- It uses your everyday pantry staple ingredients. Most of them are already in your cabinet.
- Highly customizable, as it can take in lots of other veggies and different types of protein.
- It feeds a large crowd and stretches out the meat, making it very economical and budget friendly.
- You can adjust the final flavor profile by experimenting with toppings like sour cream, avocado or jalapeño to suit your palate.
- It’s family friendly, loved by all ages.
Taco Soup Ingredients
- Homemade taco seasoning – Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika (we use smoked), red chili flakes, salt, black pepper.
- Olive Oil
- Ground beef – We use 85/15 lean, as we like the flavors it creates in the soup. You can use other ground beef substitutions that we will mention later.
- Veggies – Onion, bell peppers (we use red and yellow), canned diced tomatoes, frozen corn.
- Pinto beans – You can sub with black beans, or use both.
- Beef Broth
- Optional toppings – Shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocados, chopped cilantro, jalapeños, tortilla chips or strips, sour cream.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
1. Make homemade taco seasoning: It’s as easy as mixing all the pantry staple spices and herbs together. But it’s so worth it, as any store bought taco seasoning is no match for homemade flavors. Store bought simply has artificial flavors, if you ask me.
2. Soften the veggies: In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion and bell peppers for 6-8 minutes, until they are soft. Add in garlic and sauté for a minute.
3. Brown the meat: Add in ground beef and sauté till it is brown all over. Drain excess fat (leave a little behind, as it adds great flavor).
4. Add remaining ingredients and simmer: Add in taco seasoning along with diced tomatoes, pinto beans, corn and beef broth. Stir well and bring it to boil. Then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust for salt.
5. Top it up with toppings: Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Tips for BEST Taco Soup
- The number 1 tip for any taco recipe is using homemade seasoning. It’s almost a must to get the best flavors in your soup. You use the pantry staple ingredients that are already in your kitchen, and it just takes a couple of minutes to mix up. We have a detailed post just for our favorite Taco Seasoning here in GypsyPlate, which gives plenty of other uses for it.
- Use ground beef with a bit of fat, as it yield lots of flavor. You can use leaner meat, but we prefer 85/15 ground beef for this taco soup recipe. You can always drain excess fat while cooking.
- This recipe makes a thick, hearty taco soup. You can use more broth if you prefer more liquid in your soup.
- Simmer it longer, at least 30 minutes, to let all the flavors come together in the pot. 15 minute short cuts are just not enough for the best tasting taco soup. Period!!
How to Serve Taco Soup
Just like tacos, you can serve this taco soup with any of the toppings you personally like. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and present all the toppings on a large platter. This way, everyone at the table can top up their taco soup to their liking.
Taco Soup Variations
- Use other protein. You can make equally great taco soup by using ground chicken, ground turkey or even ground pork. Alternately, you can use a combination of two meats like ground beef and ground pork together. Or try it with shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Use other varieties of beans like black beans, kidney beans, or a combination of a few beans together.
- Make it more spicy by adding diced jalapeños or canned pickled jalapeños.
- Use rotel or salsa instead of diced tomatoes for a little different flavor profile.
- Make taco soup creamier by melting in cheddar cheese or cream cheese during the final few minutes of cooking time.
Can I Make it in the Crock Pot?
Yes! It’s easy. Simply brown the veggies and beef along with garlic. Add this mixture mixture to the crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat 5-6 hours. Serve with desired toppings.
Leftovers and Storage
Taco Soup tastes even better the next day! It will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. You may need to add a little water to the soup when reheating.
This taco soup freezes beautifully, making it a perfect make ahead freezer meal option. Simply store it in individual portion sized containers so you can thaw out exactly how much you want any particular time.
You can freeze it for up to 3 months in airtight freezer friendly containers. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and when ready to eat, heat it up on stove top.
If you like tacos (who doesn’t) and are looking for an easy, one pot wonder, try our version of Taco Soup. It’s simply more flavorful, more bold and more irresistible.
Make this winter warmer tonight. Top it up just the way you like, and enjoy every single sip with your family, all around the big pot.
Taco Soup, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika (we use smoked)
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small bell peppers (red and yellow), diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 15oz can pinto beans (you can sub with black beans)
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 3 cups beef broth
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced avocados
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips or strips
- sour cream
- Combine all ingredients for taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion and bell peppers for 6-8 minutes until they are soft. Add in garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add in ground beef and sauté till it is brown all over. Drain excess fat (leave a little behind, as it adds great flavor).
- Add in taco seasoning along with diced tomatoes, pinto beans, corn and beef broth. Stir well and bring it to boil. Then lower the heat to medium-slow and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust for salt. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.