This easy Bulgogi Sauce recipe is too good. A harmonious blend of flavors, Korean BBQ sauce just might be our favorite marinade yet.
With just a few ingredients, you can whip up a bulgogi marinade that rivals even the best Korean restaurant. Just try it and see.
Make your own Beef Bulgogi, or try it with other meats. However you use it, this sauce is going to bring the flavor big time!
What is Bulgogi Sauce?
Bulgogi sauce is a tantalizing blend of ingredients that are essential to the Korean culinary art of Bulgogi. Traditionally used to marinate beef, pork, or chicken, the sauce infuses the meat with a symphony of flavors.
The name Bulgogi is a combination of two Korean words, Bul meaning “fire” and Gogi, translating to “meat”. Hence, this dish is called “fire meat.”
Although it’s primary purpose is as a marinade, you can also use Bulgogi sauce in a variety of ways, making it a versatile Asian condiment to have on hand.
Korean BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- Soy Sauce – Provides a salty and savory base for the sauce.
- Mirin – Adds a subtle sweetness.
- Sesame Oil – For a nutty richness.
- Brown Sugar – Sweetens the sauce.
- Garlic – Always a must.
- Fresh Ginger – Garlic’s longtime companion.
- Pear – Adds natural sweetness and aids in tenderizing the meat.
- Scallions – Offers a mild onion flavor.
- Sesame Seeds – Provides a gentle crunch and toasty flavor.
- Black Pepper – Just a pinch.
- Gochujang – This is optional to make it spicy. It is a Korean chili paste that can be found in the Asian section of many supermarkets.
Easy Bulgogi Sauce Recipe
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Use immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.
How to Use Bulgogi Marinade
The most common way to use this Korean BBQ sauce is as a marinade. You can use any of your favorite proteins, but the most common is beef. Try our easy Beef Bulgogi recipe, it’s yum.
This sauce is enough to marinate about 1.5 pounds of protein.
Want something even easier (if that’s possible)? Make Ground Beef Bulgogi. It’s our next post, so stay tuned.
You can also use it as a dipping sauce for spring rolls, dumplings or sushi.
How about Bulgogi wings? Sounds good to me, maybe future recipe idea…
- Choose Quality Soy Sauce – Opt for a good quality soy sauce, as it’s the base of the sauce and will greatly impact the flavor.
- Adjust Sweetness – Feel free to tweak the amount of brown sugar to your taste preference. Taste as you go!
- Fresh Ingredients – Use fresh ginger and garlic for the best flavor. Pre-minced jars may not provide the same vibrant taste.
- Grate the Pear Finely – Ensure the pear is finely grated to meld seamlessly into the sauce and enhance the meat’s tenderness.
- Spice Level – If you’re sensitive to heat, start with a small amount of Gochujang or omit it entirely. We love it spicy ourselves!
More Great Marinades
Give your food a big flavor boost the Korean BBQ way… the Bulgogi way! Trust me, your tastebuds will thank you.
Make sure to save or pin this great marinade recipe so you always know where to find it. And don’t forget to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Bulgogi Sauce, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 pear (preferably Asian), grated
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Gochujang (optional for spicy version)
- Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl.
- Use as a marinade for beef, chicken, pork or tofu.
- This recipe is enough to marinate about 1.5 pounds of protein.
- If you can't find Asian pear, Bosc is the next best substitute. The pear should be slightly under ripe.
- We like the full tablespoon of gochujang in there. If you want just a little kick, start with one teaspoon.
- If making ahead of time, Bulgogi sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for about a week.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1103mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 2g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.