Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions – This is a simple, super easy, speedy side dish… A classic from your grandma’s generation.
Sweet peas slathered in creamy white sauce, sprinkled with pearl onions. That’s it. No bake it, no slave for it. Perfect side dish contender for your holiday table.
Yes those grandmas knew best and nailed it right… 🙂
This side dish is an under 20 minutes thing that you can whip up in a zippy, while your turkey and others are occupying your oven. You can even make this a couple of days in advance and just reheat it before serving. All good.
All you need is some pretty basic pantry staples and pearl onions. 🙂 I am sure Jason wouldn’t mind if I skip them. But even he is a happy camper with this one, as according to him it’s so easy to weed them out compared to chopped onions.
Anyways, we will give you some other variations later. Read on…
Creamed Peas Ingredients
- Peas – You can use frozen, canned or even fresh. In the case of fresh peas, you just need to cook them till soft. We are going with frozen and just thawing them before.
- Pearl onions – Frozen or jarred, again we are using frozen.
- Cream – You can use milk for a lighter version.
- Salt, pepper and sugar
- Chives (optional) – For garnishing.
How to Make Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions
Basically this is just peas and onions in creamy white or béchamel sauce. Start with melting the butter in a pan and sauté the pearl onions for a few minutes. Add in peas and give it a stir for a minute.
Spoon in flour and stir it for a minute, smoothing out any lumps. Then gradually pour in cream, stirring continuously.
Season with salt, pepper and sugar to your liking. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the sauce thickens. Hmm… yum. Dish it out and garnish with chives… Easy peasssyyyyy!! 🙂
- Don’t want onions? Jason would be happy with this one. Simply omit them and it becomes just creamed peas.
- Want to add some other veggies? Sautéed carrots, potatoes or mushrooms would pair beautifully with the peas.
- How about some salty crunchy fried bacon? I think that would be excellent.
What to Serve with Creamed Peas
- Of course with your Holiday Turkey.
- Goes great with Pork Chops, Salisbury Steak, or BBQ Ribs.
- Over some Mashed Potatoes.
- Over nicely toasted bread.
Well, I am going to keep it short and simple for these peas. Try them. Make your life simpler and easier around the holidays. We need more easy ones like these in our lives.
They will come to you all the time when you subscribe to GypsyPlate… Happy Holidays! 🙂
Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions, in our Gypsy Bowl… enjoy!
Try these other great holiday sides!
Southern Squash Casserole
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Chili Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Green Rice Casserole
Butternut Squash Blossom
Sweet Potato Casserole
Cherry Tomato Gratin
Fruity Nutty Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- 2 12oz packages frozen green peas (see note 1)
- 1 14oz package frozen pearl onions
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnishing
- Thaw peas. Simmer frozen onions in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onions, sauté 5 minutes.
- Add peas, sauté 1 minute. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add flour and mix well, cook for one minute until peas and onions are nicely coated.
- Gradually add cream, stirring continuously, and cook till thickened.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.
- If using fresh peas, first cook in water till soft.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 45mgSodium 83mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 5gSugar 9gProtein 6g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.