If you are on the lookout thinking “I want an easy chicken recipe”… here it is. I’m not only giving you easy, but a lot more. It happens in flash (start to finish in less than 30 minutes) with super simple everyday ingredients. Yet it’s decadently indulgent in nature. Just one look at this golden seared chicken smothered in creamy sauce, sprinkled with colorful veggies, and everyone around the table is one happy clan. It’s like you’ve been served a restaurant quality chicken dish in the comfort of your own home. This one pan skillet chicken is a keto bomb but can be enjoyed whichever way you decide. It’s a keeper guys. Pin or bookmark this one for your every day dinner.
We love easy recipes that taste good. You will find plenty here on GypsyPlate. Life can be demanding, with a million things to tackle and finish. And then comes dinner time… what to cook? This one doesn’t need Einstein’s mind. This one demands so much less. It can be adapted for whatever you have on hand, and yet every single time it will taste equally good. Any veggies can accompany chicken in this creamy sauce. Any cut of chicken ends up great in this dish. It’s all about the sauce.
Here is what you need for this creamy chicken skillet
- Chicken – Today we are using boneless skinless chicken breasts. We half each breast into cutlets to make them flat. This yields tender, moist meat and shortens the cooking time. This dish is quite regular in our home, and we sometimes cook it with thighs, bone in or out. Every single time it’s yum. You just have to adjust the cook time, as bone in will take more time to cook.
- Veggies – Mushrooms and bell peppers (any color will do).
- Herbs – Dried thyme and rosemary, fresh parsley.
- Spices – Onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Oil and butter
Ok, let’s talk about how easy this chicken skillet is
Butterfly the chicken breast. In a bowl, mix dried herbs and spice powders. Sprinkle this mixture generously on both sides of the breast cutlets.
Heat oil and butter together in a skillet over medium high heat. Place in the chicken cutlets, not overcrowding them. To sear them golden brown on both sides, they need a little space in between, otherwise they will steam. This will take about 7-8 minutes per side. Once you get a nice golden brown color, plate them out.
In the same pan, melt more butter and sauté sliced mushrooms, bell pepper rings or strips, along with garlic, salt and pepper for a couple of minutes. Add in parsley, thyme and rosemary. Cook for a minute.
Stir in cream and mix well, scraping any brown stickings left from the chicken off the bottom of the pan and into the sauce. Add in parmesan cheese, mix well and cook for a minute.
Time to put the chicken into this delicious sauce, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. This won’t take much time, as the chicken is almost cooked. You are just cooking it fully and penetrating that wonderful sauce into the chicken. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. Garnish with more parsley.
Endless variations of this creamy skillet
- Other veggies also go good in this skillet. Broccoli, green beans, cherry tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, peas, corn, carrots, asparagus… so anything. 🙂
- Use different herbs, whatever are your favorites. Oregano, basil, tarragon, sage. Fresh basil will really add incredible flavors.
- Play with cheese. Think asiago, Romano, or even mozzarella.
- Going for a more low cal option? Use half and half or evaporated milk. You might need to thicken the sauce with a little flour.
- Fry some bacon in the beginning and cook the chicken in bacon grease. At the end, throw the crumbled bacon into the sauce.
- Sprinkle in some lemon juice to add a citrusy kick to the sauce.
- Add a splash of white wine when you are cooking the mushrooms. This adds tons of flavor.
- Add a little mustard to make it zesty.
What to serve this creamy chicken with
Again, so many possibilities…
- Pasta (any shapes, colors or varieties), rice (regular or brown) or mashed potatoes… all our regulars.
- Some crusty bread or baguette, go for it. My miracle no-knead bread is great with this skillet.
- Something a little less ordinary? Try couscous, freekeh or quinoa.
- For low carb options, try cauliflower rice or mash, chaffles, keto bread, zoodles, shirataki or palmini noodles.
Sure, they are great up to 3-4 days in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Just reheat with a splash more cream on the stove top or microwave. This is a great meal prep option.
So that’s it… This chicken mushroom cream combo is beloved by all ages everywhere. Look no further and give it a try tonight. Like with us, in no time this is one meal that will be going in your regular rotation. Skillet meals… Aren’t they great? 🙂
Easy Creamy Chicken Skillet, on my Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
Try these other great 30 minute or less meals!
Blackened Shrimp and Grits
Thai Basil Chicken
Flank Steak Fajitas
Kung Pao Chicken
Puerto Rican Picadillo
Salmon with Mango Salsa
Korean Ground Beef Bowl
Chicken Ramen Stir Fry
Tomato Basil Chicken
To sear chicken
- 3 chicken breasts (butterflied into half cutlets)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp butter
For creamy sauce
- 1.5 Tbsp butter
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 small colored bell peppers (red, green and yellow), ringed or striped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1.5 cup cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Mix onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in a bowl and sprinkle this mixture generously on both sides of chicken cutlets.
- Heat oil and butter on medium high heat in a skillet and place in the chicken cutlets, not overcrowding them. In the case of a smaller pan, cook them in batches. Cook undisturbed for 7-8 minutes. Flip and cook for another 7-8 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- In the same pan, melt the butter and add in sliced mushrooms and peppers along with garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for five minutes, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the mixture. Stir in parsley, thyme, rosemary and cook for a minute.
- Stir in cream and mix well for a couple of minutes.
- Add in parmesan and mix well. Return chicken cutlets and cook for 5-8 minutes till chicken is fully cooked (internal temp 165°F).
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
- For a lighter version, replace cream with either half & half or evaporated milk.
- If you want to thicken up the sauce, mix a little flour with some milk or water and gradually add in to the sauce until you get the desired consistency.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 396Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 135mgSodium 533mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 24g
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.