This fry sauce is a tangy and sweet mixture that is the absolute best dipping sauce for french fries, but it’s also so much more!
Not only are you going to be dipping everything from tostones to onion rings, you’re going to be slathering this sauce on burgers and sandwiches, too.
If you can spare 5 minutes, you need to make this sauce!
We love condiment sauces. They’re such easy ways to add flavor to your food, and are so versatile.
What is Fry Sauce?
Fry sauce has as its base the classic combination of mayo and ketchup, but a few additional flavor enhancers add a lot of depth.
The ketchup-mayo combo has a lot of little variations around the world like “Marie Rose sauce” in Britain, “sauce cocktail” in France, and “salsa golf” in parts of South America.
This particular twist on pink sauce originated in the 1950’s in Utah, where it is beloved as one of their signature foods. Its fame has also spread to parts of Idaho and Oregon.
After trying it, we think it’s time to make this sauce known worldwide!
Ingredients for Utah Fry Sauce
- Mayonnaise – for the creaminess
- Ketchup – the other essential base ingredient
- Pickle juice – yes, this really and makes it distinctive
- Worcestershire sauce – for even more depth of flavor
- Paprika – a little extra color
- Cayenne – and a touch of heat
How to Make Fry Sauce
Measure the ingredients into a bowl, then mix. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
How to Use Fry Sauce
You’re going to want this with everything!
For dipping, think…
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Tostones (the Puerto Rican variation is called “mayoketchup”)
- Sauerkraut Balls
- Onion Rings
- Chicken Nuggets
And as a spread, use fry sauce with…
- Corn dogs
Fry Sauce Variations
We love how customizable this sauce is!
- If you want more kick, add some more cayenne or your favorite hot sauce.
- Similarly, you can give it more tang with additional pickle juice or vinegar.
- If you’re watching calories, use light mayonnaise, or half mayo and half Greek yogurt.
- Make it vegan friendly by substituting vegan mayo and worcestershire.
- Make it keto friendly by using no sugar added ketchup (and keep some pork rinds handy for dipping).
How Long Does Leftover French Fry Sauce Last?
Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, fry sauce is good for 3-5 days. Just make sure to give it a good stir before serving.
Jazz up your fries, and anything else you want to dip, with this amazing Utah fry sauce. Just a few ingredients and a minute or two of mixing are going to add so much flavor.
Mix up a batch for your next summer cookout, and invite your friends and family to spread your new creation on their burgers. It’ll be a hit.
Save or pin this great recipe, so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Fry Sauce, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 pinches cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Taste and adjust.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.