This Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese is the perfect use for those upcoming holiday leftovers. It’s creamy and comfy and oh so good.
It has a pasta base with an amazing cream sauce that pairs so well with ham. Plus, the broccoli gives it some added veggie power.
This awesome casserole, which is a great make ahead dish, is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
With the holidays rapidly approaching, we’ve decided to present you with another one of our favorites.
That being said, you don’t have to wait for that huge roast ham to make this dish. If you just have to try it right now, grab a ham steak and whip it up anytime!
Why We Love this Ham and Noodle Casserole
- As a creamy and cheesy comfort food type meal, even your pickiest eaters will love it.
- It’s super versatile. We’ll give you a bunch of variations later in the post.
- You can make it ahead of time, then simply bake when you’re ready to eat.
- It can really feed a crowd. So if you still have some guests lingering, this ham casserole is a great option.
Leftover Ham Casserole Ingredients
This casserole can take many forms, but here is what we used today:
- Pasta – Today we’re using tricolored rotini. Any small size will do, even egg noodles.
- Ham – Diced small.
- Broccoli – We use fresh, but you can also use thawed frozen broccoli.
- Sauce – Butter, flour, cream, chicken broth, sharp cheddar cheese and mustard.
- Topping – Bread crumbs, melted butter and parmesan cheese.
Ham Casserole Recipe
Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package to al dente. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli.
Combine pasta, broccoli and ham in a baking dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour, stirring continuously to create a roux. Gradually add in milk and chicken stock, whisking to avoid lumps. Add in cheese and mustard. Simmer for a few minutes till sauce thickens. Once ready, add to the casserole.
Mix everything together until well combined.
Mix together the melted butter, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture over the casserole.
Cook in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Allow to rest five minutes before serving.
- Use any of your favorite short pasta shapes. Think bowties, rigatoni, ziti or even egg noodles.
- Try different cheese for unique flavors. Some great options are swiss, blue cheese or feta.
- Add more veggie power. Just about any of your favorite vegetables can go here. We love adding some frozen mixed vegetables.
- Use different toppings. Try crumbled up Ritz crackers for more crunch, or just top it with plenty of shredded cheese.
- If you would like to skip a step, turn it into a skillet meal. Omit the topping and simply simmer on stovetop till the noodles are cooked through.
Leftovers and Storage
Allow the ham casserole to cool to room temperature. You can store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Simply reheat it in the microwave, covered, until warmed through out. You can also reheat it on stove top by adding a splash of water.
This leftover ham casserole also freezes well, so makes a great meal prep option. I like to break leftovers into individual portions, wrap in cling wrap, put the wrapped portions into ziploc bags, and freeze. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Give your holiday leftovers a new life with this easy ham casserole recipe. The whole family will love these cheesy, creamy flavors. This one is surely for our fellow comfort food lovers.
Make sure to save or pin this recipe, so you always know where to find it. And if you haven’t already, subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 12oz rotini pasta
- 2 cups diced ham
- 3 cups steamed broccoli
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package, to al dente.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli.
- Combine pasta, broccoli and ham in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish or 12 inch cast iron skillet.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour, stirring continuously to create a roux. Gradually add in milk and chicken stock, whisking to avoid lumps. Add in cheese and mustard. Simmer for a few minutes till sauce thickens. Once ready, add to the casserole.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Mix together the melted butter, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture over the casserole.
- Cook in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Allow to rest five minutes before serving.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.