This Ham and Cheese Gnocchi Skillet is a super easy one pan meal that is absolute comfort food.
It’s a great use for leftover ham, and it only takes a few simple ingredients to make this magic happen.
Best of all, it can be on the table in about 20 minutes. Sounds like a winner to me!
You just can’t beat one pan meals when you want something easy, and that hardley takes any clean up.
This time we decided to whip up something easy with our leftover Easter ham.
Ingredients for Ham and Cheese Gnocchi Skillet
- Ham – if you don’t have leftovers, you can just use a prepackaged ham steak.
- Peas – Frozen.
- Sauce – cream and water.
- Herbs – fresh basil and dried thyme.
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese – mozzarella and cheddar.
How to Make This One Skillet Meal
Dice your ham into small cubes, about ½ inch. Sauté it in an oven safe skillet. Let it caramelize it a bit, that adds a lot of flavor.
Add in the gnocchi and frozen peas. Give everything a nice stir.
Stir in the cream and water, along with herbs. Let it simmer for about five minutes, until the gnocchi is cooked.
Taste and add salt and pepper to taste (the ham adds a lot of salt, so you might not need any additional).
Add cheese on top and broil for a few minutes, till the cheese is melty and starting to brown up.
What to Serve With Ham and Cheese Gnocchi
It’s a complete meal on its own with protein, starch and veggies. Plus, it is pretty hearty.
Some nice crusty bread, like our easy No Knead Bread, would also pair well.
- This can accommodate any of your favorite veggies. Spinach, mushrooms and bell peppers would be especially great here.
- Play with the cheese for different flavor profiles. How about some blue cheese or brie? Yum!
- Make it a lighter dish by replacing the cream with half and half.
- You can even go low carb, just swap out the gnocchi for cauliflower florets.
This ham and gnocchi skillet makes great leftovers. Simply refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Note, if using leftover ham, you will want to use these leftovers within 3-4 days of when the ham was originally cooked.
We don’t recommend freezing, as neither cooked gnocchi nor cream hold their consistency when frozen.
So, the next time you have leftover ham, or just want something super easy, cozy and tasty, give this ham and cheese gnocchi a try. The whole family will love it!
Save or pin this recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Ham and Cheese Gnocchi, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced ham, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler on your oven.
- Heat oil in an oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add in diced ham and sauté, turning from time to time, until it start to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Add peas, gnocchi, water, cream and herbs. Simmer until gnocchi is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste (the ham adds a lot of salt, so you might not need any additional).
- Sprinkle shredded cheeses atop the gnocchi mixture. Broil until cheese is melty and starting to turn golden brown. This time will vary depending on the strength of your broiler, check on it after 2 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 404Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 92mgSodium 683mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 22g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.