Have you ever thought how roast chicken will look in a Mediterranean avatar? Here it is… One skillet Mediterranean Chicken Roast. Fresh, healthy and jam packed with amazing flavors!
This is a one skillet meal from stovetop-to oven-to table. You can’t beat the ease and convenience of this one pot meal, as you literally throw everything in a skillet and let the oven do the work for most of the cook time.
And you end up with juicy, tender chicken infused with fresh Med flavors coming from olives and artichokes, lemons and burst cherry tomatoes. You are in for a treat! Make this Mediterranean dinner happen tonight...
Recently, we have been having one pan meals on our menu regularly. Be it our easy creamy chicken skillet or our gorgeous chicken Provençal or a big pot of fasolada. We just can’t have enough of these great tasty meals with bold flavors, and the easy clean ups. So, so weeknight friendly!
You are going to love this Mediterranean Chicken Skillet, ‘cos
- It’s a complete meal in itself, which also happens to be great looking. So perfect contender as a company meal for your entertaining.
- This skillet can be customizable with plenty of substitutions depending whatever veggies are available in your refrigerator.
- Very low effort prep, with most of the cooking time in the oven.
- You can prepare the skillet in advance and store it in the refrigerator, then and bake it when ready to eat.
- You end up with a really light and healthy meal.
Why the Mediterranean Diet is good for you
The concept of the Mediterranean diet arose in the 1960’s and was based on the perceived health benefits of the diets of Greece, Italy and Spain. It emphasizes fruits and veggies, olive oil, unrefined grains, legumes and fish, with other things in moderation.
Spanning many cultures, Mediterranean cuisine is quite varied in nature. The culinary treasures of the region have long histories which have evolved over time into some of the most delicious recipes in the world. The cuisine of the northern portion of the sea is often said to be based around three core elements: olive oil, bread and wine.
The eastern and southern shores, comprised of the Levantine region and northern Africa, are dominated by interesting blends of spices that may seem exotic to the unfamiliar palate. Whatever the shore, the region’s food, influenced by it’s warm climate and proximity to the sea, also features an abundance of fresh vegetables and a delectable assortment of seafood.
Taking inspiration from this healthy diet, this Mediterranean chicken skillet features chicken with olives and artichoke hearts, fresh tomatoes and shallots, a good dose of olive oil and white wine, with plenty of good old herbs. Result? Jam packed flavors that are fresh, light and super healthy.
Ingredients for one pan Mediterranean Roast Chicken
- Chicken – We used boneless skinless chicken thighs, it would be great with bone in thighs too.
- Seasonings – Onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Olive oil
- Kalamata olives
- Artichoke hearts
- White wine
- Cherry tomatoes
- Garlic heads (optional)
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Fresh oregano (optional)
How to make Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
We like some roasted whole garlic cloves in this meal. It’s entirely optional, as roasting garlic needs additional oven time. You can skip it and just focus on rest of the skillet if you like.
But if you like those roasted garlics like us, start by baking them in the oven. Take the whole head of garlic and slice off the little top head portion. Drizzle olive oil generously over the cut portion of the garlic head, wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Meantime, mix all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle the mixture generously on both sides of the chicken thighs.
Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet, or any other oven proof skillet, and sear the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, till they get a little golden brown color.
Take the skillet off the heat, add in shallots, Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts and lemon slices. If using garlic, take it out of the aluminum foil and place in the skillet for further roasting along with the chicken. Mix lemon juice and honey and drizzle it all over, and pour in wine from the side of the skillet.
Drizzle some more olive oil and place fresh herbs all over, if using. Bake it uncovered for 20 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes to the skillet and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Broil for a minute or two at the end, if desired. Serve immediately with more fresh herbs.
Use whatever veggies you find. Think colorful veggies like bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms or carrots. Some times adding potatoes or sweet potatoes will bulk this skillet up.
Sprinkle feta cheese all over when ready to serve for a different flavor profile.
What to serve with this one pan chicken skillet
- We love our no kneed bread, fresh out of oven all crusty and warm.
- Serve it with orzo, cous cous, or wild rice.
- Our tortellini salad or couscous salad are great with this one pan chicken meal.
Well, all sounds like music to my ears. The Mediterranean diet is considered one of the most popular and healthy diets of 2022. Why not try this chicken roast, Mediterranean style, and embrace this healthy lifestyle? Try this easy peasy dinner tonight, and let us know how it turns out. Take care…
Mediterranean Chicken Skillet, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 5-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- 2-3 shallots, sliced
- 2 lemons, (1 sliced, 1 juiced)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic heads (optional)
- A few sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- A few sprigs fresh oregano (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If using garlic heads, cut a little of the top part of the whole garlic head. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Mix the spice powers (smoked paprika, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and salt) in a small bowl and sprinkle it generously on both sides of chicken thighs.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet, or any other oven proof skillet, and sear the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, till they get a little golden brown color.
- Take the skillet off the heat, add in shallots, Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts and lemon slices. Take the garlic out of the aluminum foil and place in the skillet for further roasting along with chicken. Mix lemon juice and honey and drizzle it all over. Pour in wine by the side of the skillet all over.
- Drizzle on some more olive oil and place in fresh herbs all over, if using.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the skillet and bake it for another 15-20 minutes.
- Broil for a minute or two at the end, if desired.
- Serve immediately with more fresh herbs.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 387Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 137mgSodium 556mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 5gSugar 10gProtein 30g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.