Sicilian Pasta – If you’ve been on the lookout for a tasty new pasta recipe, here it is! This Sicilian Pasta is bursting with flavor from mixed olives, capers, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes and some great flavor enhancers!
It’s a light meal, perfect for meatless nights, and comes together super fast. This gorgeous dish can be your easy weeknight dinner or a meal for special occasions.
This simple, rustic pasta can be on your table in about 20 minute. We’re sure you’ll be coming back to this one!
Sicilian cuisine has been influenced by a variety of cultures over time. You’ll find hints of Arabic, Greek, North African and more. One great example of Sicilian food is our eggplant caponata.
The Mediterranean island is also where the use of pasta was first recorded in Italy. This easy Sicilian pasta features a generous helping of olives and beautiful cherry tomatoes. It’s also very customizable, and I’ll give you some great variations later in the post.
You can use any olives you like, but if you have access to an olive bar at one of your local grocery stores, you can load up on a variety of colors and sizes to make the meal look more festive.
Ingredients for Sicilian Pasta
- Pasta – We used orecchiette, but any shape you prefer will work.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – A good bit.
- Red Chili Flakes – For a little kick.
- Tomato Paste
- White Wine
- Olive Bar Mix – We mixed olives, cherry peppers and artichoke hearts.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make Sicilian Pasta
This all comes together pretty fast. First, cook your pasta in salted water according to the directions on the package. Be sure to reserve a bit of the pasta water before draining.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and red chili flakes and stir for about a minute, until it gets fragrant. Then stir in tomato paste and cook for a couple of minutes.
Pour in the wine and simmer till it reduces. Add olives, cherry peppers, artichoke hearts and capers and cook for a couple of minutes.
Stir in cooked pasta, pasta water, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and parsley. Mix everything well. Once it’s nice and hot, serve!
This can have all sorts of other add ins for different flavors and textures.
- Roasted eggplant would make a nice addition. First cut it into 1 inch cubes, then roast on a parchment paper lined sheet pan for about 30 minutes in a 450°F oven. Flip it after about 20 minutes.
- Add in some anchovies. They are very common in Sicilian cuisine.
- For even deeper flavors, swap the cherry tomatoes for sundried tomatoes.
- Replace the parsley with fresh basil, or a mixture of basil and oregano.
- Fresh mozzarella balls would go great in this pasta.
- Add in some cubed Genoa salami.
- Garnish the dish with toasted pine nuts.
So there you have it, another great pasta recipe. Aren’t they always so easy and comforting? And the whole family loves them! When you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and a comment, I love hearing from you!
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Sicilian Pasta, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
Try these other great pasta recipes!
Creamy Ground Chicken Pasta
Gigi Hadid Pasta
Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Scallop Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes
This Sicilian Pasta is a 20 minute meal bursting with flavor from olives, capers, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes and great flavor enhancers!
- 8oz pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 2 cups olives and cherry peppers
- 2 cups artichoke hearts
- 8oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Cook pasta in salted water according to the directions on the package. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and red chili flakes and stir for about a minute, until it gets fragrant. Then stir in tomato paste and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in the wine and simmer till it reduces. Add olives, cherry peppers, artichoke hearts and capers and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta, pasta water, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and parsley. Mix everything well. Once hot, serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 526Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 22mgSodium 1118mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 10gSugar 5gProtein 15g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.