Ah, Whipped Cream. Who doesn’t love it? A scoop with fresh fruit. A dollop in your coffee. And, of course, you can’t make a sundae without it.
But have you ever made it yourself? I mean, sure, it’s so easy to squirt some out of one of those cans. But it’s almost as easy to make it from scratch. And it’s so much better!
If you want to up your dessert game, this homemade whipped cream recipe is an absolute MUST!
Three ingredients. You already have them on hand. So what are you waiting for?
If you’ve ever wondered how to make whipped cream, now is the time. It’s so easy. And after you make it once, you’re going to be sure to have a batch in the fridge at all times. It’s that good.
This recipe is a game changer. Maybe you bake your own cakes and cookies. Maybe you dabble in making pies or ice cream. But until you make your own whipped cream, you can never be a dessert master!
Why You’ll Fall in Love with Homemade Whipped Cream
- It enhances just about any dessert, and has plenty of other uses. We’ll give you some ideas later.
- You only need three ingredients. That’s it!
- It only takes about five minutes, and stores well so you can make a big batch.
- The flavors can be varied for different uses.
- You’re family will love you even more!
Whipped Cream Ingredients
This basic whipped cream recipe only requires 3 ingredients: heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
You can also make flavored whipped cream using other add ins. We’ll give you plenty of variations later in the post.
- Don’t try to lighten the recipe up. Use heavy whipping cream. The whipped cream will keep it’s stiffness much longer than that made with regular whipping cream. Do not use half & half, it will not form a proper whipped cream.
- Use cold whipping cream. It whips better, and holds together longer. We like to stick it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before whipping.
- If you overmix the cream, don’t panic. Sometimes you may find that you have whipped the cream too much, and it becomes lumpy. If that happens, add in unwhipped cream 1 Tbsp at a time and gently mix it in with a small spatula, until you get a smooth but stiff consistency.
- Look for stiff peaks. When you remove the mixer blades from the whipped cream, what comes out on the blades should be stiff and hold its shape if held vertically.
Whipped Cream Recipe
Whipped cream is very easy to make at home. Simply add all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whip it on medium high speed with a standing mixer or hand mixer.
Depending on the speed of your mixer, it can take as little as a minute, or up to 5 minutes to achieve the proper consistency. Once the cream starts to thicken, check regularly by stopping the mixer and checking the peaks on the blades.
When the homemade whipped cream is ready, use immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container.
How to Use Whipped Cream
- We love dipping cookies in it. Have you tried our amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- How about a big scoop atop a cup of coffee… YUM!
- What’s a slice of pie without a dollop of whipped cream? Seriously!
- It’s a perfect topping for any of your favorite ice cream flavors.
- We love it with fresh fruit, especially berries.
- Try it with your favorite sweet breakfasts. It’s awesome with our Dutch Baby Pancakes.
There are plenty of ways you can customize homemade whipped cream with a variety a flavor add ins. Here are some of our favorites:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- Replace sugar with maple syrup
- Replace sugar with honey
- Replace sugar with caramel sauce
Leftovers and Storage
You can refrigerate leftover whipped cream in an airtight container for 4-5 days. It will lose it’s texture over time, but will still taste great. If desired, you can whip it some more to stiffen it back up, or simply use it as a coffee add in, where consistency doesn’t really matter.
Homemade whipped cream can also be frozen for a couple of months, though the texture will not be as creamy once thawed.
This homemade whipped cream recipe is going to transform the way you eat sweets. It’s a total game changer. Give it a try, and send those aerosol cans into retirement.
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Homemade Whipped Cream, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
Homemade Whipped Cream
This easy Homemade Whipped Cream recipe is totally going to up your dessert game. Use it on ice cream, in coffee, on pies, and so much more...
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip on medium high speed until stiff peaks form.
Summer's here! Try these Blackstone Griddle Recipes!
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.