Dress up your hummus like never before… Get that scooping going with this beautiful, bright and colorful Layered Hummus Dip. This luscious loaded hummus is perfect for your party or potluck appetizer.
Take this platter to your next entertaining, beautifully assembled with your favorite hummus drizzled generously with extra virgin olive oil. Top it with perfectly seasoned ground beef, colorful garnishing with plenty of nutty toasted pine nuts.
Voila… and see how everyone starts hovering over this beautiful platter.
Hummus and Pita together!! Ahmmm… yum, yum. What else can I say… They’re a pretty awesome combination just by themselves. But we believe that hummus is destined for bigger and better things, just like this Loaded Layered Hummus.
The concept is simple. Just lay down the base of hummus and top it with all the Mediterranean yums. Many Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries load their hummus with veggies and sometimes seasoned meats.
You can keep it Greek themed by adding cucumber, tomatoes, olives or even Greek yogurt. If you happen to pass through Lebanon, you might get it with some form of meat thrown into the mix. Extremely customizable and delicious..
If you are into hummus like us, you are already making it at home from scratch. We have a great recipe for Homemade Hummus on GypsyPlate. You can always make your own hummus for this layered hummus dip.
But this recipe works great with any good quality store bought hummus, as you are going to add tons of flavors with all the layering of delicious toppings. We recommend buying just traditional hummus without extra flavors as a base.
Ingredients for Layered Hummus Dip
- Ground beef
- Veggies – onion, green bell peppers, cherry tomatoes
- Herbs and spices – sumac, cinnamon, oregano, fresh parsley
- Canned tomato sauce
- Pine nuts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make Loaded Layered Hummus Dip
1. Get Hummus: All this starts with good hummus. You can make homemade hummus using this recipe, or use good quality store bought hummus.
2. Seasoned Ground Beef: Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet, then sauté onions, green pepper and garlic until soft. Add in ground beef and sauté, breaking it apart with spatula, until brown all over. Remove excess fat, if any. Add in salt, pepper, sumac, cinnamon, oregano and tomato sauce and cook for 5-8 minutes, until meat is cooked and flavors meld together.
3. Assemble Layered Hummus Dip: Spread hummus on a serving platter or bowl. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil generously all over. Top it with the spiced meat, fresh chopped tomatoes, parsley, the remaining chopped onion, and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately with pita, crostini or crackers.
You Can Covert Layered Hummus Into a Healthy Lunch or Dinner Option, Too..
- Fill pita pockets with Greek salad or our Balela Salad, along with a generous helping of this dip.
- We love this along side our favorite Greek dish, Chicken Souvlaki.
- Make it a part of your Mezze platter along with dips like Tyrokafteri and Tzataki.
- Try it with your falafel or other kebabs.
Variations of Layered Hummus :
- Make it meatless and load it up Greek style. Top it with chopped cucumber, Kalamata olives, red onions, tomatoes, roasted peppers, pine nuts and feta cheese.
- Visit your local grocery store’s olive bar. Most of the antipasto ingredients go great on any hummus.
- Add in a layer of Greek yogurt.
- Try different meats, like chicken. Prepare small chicken bites with zaatar or any of your other favorite seasoning.
What to Dip in Layered Hummus Dip?
There are some great scooping ideas with this hummus dip…
- Pita bread and pita chips.
- Vegetables like cucumber slices, carrots, snow peas, mini-bell peppers, celery sticks, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, zucchini slices, radishes, and cherry tomatoes. VERDICT: Great center piece for your vegetable crudité platter.
- Use it as a spread for your sandwiches and wraps.
- Use it as a side for grilled chicken, meatballs, falafel and kebabs.
- Crackers and crostini.
How To Prep Ahead of Time
This is a perfect recipe to prep in advance so you can assemble it in a matter of a few minutes, just before serving to your guests. There are several steps you can complete a day or two before you plan to serve this layered Hummus Dip.
For best results, we do recommend waiting to put the dip together until right before serving. Here are the steps you can complete to get a jump start on the recipe:
- Prepare the ground beef topping and store it in and airtight container and refrigerate. Simply reheat before assembling the hummus.
- Chop the veggies and store them in small airtight containers in the fridge.
- If using homemade hummus, make the hummus and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Well, now you know how to elevate your hummus scene. Serve this delicious appetizer for your next Mediterranean or Greek themed party and wow your guests with this super simple recipe.
If you’re using store bought hummus, this can happen in a matter of minutes. Just make sure you have your fair share of scooping done, as this one is not going to last for long. Get that wine and conversation flowing over a plate of hummus… beautifully layered hummus…
Loaded Layered Hummus Dip, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 16oz hummus
- 8oz ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- You can make homemade hummus using this recipe, or use good quality store bought hummus.
- Heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped onions (leaving behind 2 tbsp for garnishing ), green pepper and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add in ground beef and sauté, breaking it apart with a spatula until brown all over. Remove excess fat, if any. Add in salt, pepper, sumac, cinnamon, oregano and mix well. Add in tomato sauce and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked and flavors meld together.
- Assemble Layered Hummus dip: Spread hummus on a serving platter or bowl. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil generously all over. Top it with the spiced meat, fresh chopped tomatoes, parsley, the remaining chopped onion, and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately with pita or crostini or crackers.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 326Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 50mgSodium 416mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 20g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.