Who loves one pan meals with meat, vegetables and starch all thrown together for busy weeknights? I sure do!
This One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice gets inspiration from Spanish Arroz con Pollo, and turns into a very easy, delicious family friendly meal in no time.
Here, chicken is tender and juicy with aromatic spices, cooked with a fragrant rice and vegetable mixture, all in one pan.
Make this easy chicken and rice dish tonight for your family, I bet you will come back to it again and again.
We have some great one pot rice dishes for you on GypsyPlate. African Chicken Jollof Rice, Cajun Dirty Rice and One Skillet Mexican Casserole all have very distinct regional flavors, and are great one pan meals where the meat and rice cook together.
Today’s Spanish Chicken and Rice is loaded with great flavors that come from earthy herbs and spices.
Why You’ll Love this One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is very straight forward and easy, and happens in about 40 minutes, making it ideal for busy weeknights.
- One Pan Meal: Chicken, veggies and rice all cook in one pan, meaning hassle free cooking and less cleaning afterwards.
- Delicious: This chicken and rice dish is a flavor bomb with a special Spanish seasoning mix. The succulent chicken is infused with aromatic spices like paprika, oregano, coriander, cumin and saffron, creating a rich and tantalizing taste. The rice absorbs all the delicious juices from the chicken, resulting in a flavorful and satisfying meal.
- Versatile: It can be customized to suit individual preferences. You can easily adjust the level of spiciness, or add extra vegetables to enhance the nutritional value.
- Family-Friendly: This dish is a crowd-pleaser, loved by both kids and adults alike. The combination of tender chicken and flavorful rice is comforting and satisfying, making it an ideal choice for family meals.
Spanish Chicken and Rice Ingredients
- For Spanish Seasoning Mix – Paprika, cumin powder, garlic powder, black pepper, coriander powder, oregano, thyme, salt.
- Olive oil
- Chicken – We are using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs today. You can use boneless, skinless thighs as well.
Lemon juice – For marinating the chicken.
- Veggies – Onion and bell peppers (we used green and red), frozen green peas.
- Rice – We love basmati rice, it cooks well in one pan meals.
- Chicken Broth – Adds tons of flavors to this chicken and rice dish.
- Tomato sauce – You can use crushed tomatoes as well.
- Saffron – Optional, but great in this recipe.
- Cilantro – For garnish.
Easy Spanish Chicken and Rice Recipe
1. Make Spanish seasoning and marinate chicken: In a small bowl, combine all Spanish seasoning ingredients and mix well.
Marinate chicken with oil, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp Spanish seasoning. Refrigerate it till you are ready to cook.
2. Sear the chicken: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat and sear the chicken skin side down for 9-10 minutes. Flip and cook for another 8-9 minutes. Plate it out.
3. Cook the veggies: In the same pan, add in diced onion and bell peppers and sauté till they start to soften. Add in garlic and sauté for a minute. Add in 2 Tbsp Spanish seasoning and cook for a minute.
4. Cook the rice with chicken: Add rice and stir it for a minute.
Add chicken broth along with tomato sauce and saffron. Combine well and bring it to boil. Taste and season for salt. Add peas and chicken to the pan.
Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken and rice are cooked. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Tips for the Best Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Use bone-in, skin-on chicken: This will add extra flavor and moisture to the dish. The skin will become crispy during cooking, while the bone will help infuse the rice with delicious flavors.
- Sear the chicken first: Before adding the rice and other ingredients, sear the chicken on all sides in the pan with a little oil. This step helps to develop a rich golden-brown color and enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
- Add broth or stock: Instead of plain water, use chicken broth or stock to cook the rice. This will infuse the grains with extra flavor and result in a more savory and delicious dish.
- Optimal rice-to-liquid ratio: For the perfect texture, use a 1:2 ratio of rice to liquid. Adjust the amount of liquid depending on the type of rice you are using and follow the recommended cooking time for that specific rice variety.
- Season generously: As with any recipe, don’t be skimpy with the seasoning.
Spanish Chicken and Rice Variations
- Spicy chorizo: Add slices of spicy chorizo sausage to the dish for an extra kick of flavor and heat. The smoky and robust flavors of chorizo pair beautifully with the spices and rice.
- Smoky paprika twist: Increase the smoky flavor profile by using smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
- Add more veggie power: Vegetables like mushrooms, carrots and green beans can be added in this dish.
- Add olives: Green olives, whole or sliced, are a great addition to this Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe.
Leftovers and Storing
This one pan chicken makes for great leftovers, as the flavors mingle together. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
To freeze, transfer to a freezer-friendly container and keep frozen for up to 3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat on the stove or in the microwave until warm.
Make this great one pan chicken and rice recipe tonight, and see how all the great flavors to come together in no time.
No spending all the evening in your kitchen, cooking multiple dishes on a busy night. Make this one pan meal for your family, and enjoy these new flavors all in one dish.
Spanish Chicken and Rice, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp prepared Spanish seasoning
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Spanish Chicken & Rice
- 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp prepared Spanish seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp saffron (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- cilantro for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine all Spanish seasoning ingredients and mix well.
- Marinate chicken with oil, lemon juice and 1 Tbsp Spanish seasoning. Refrigerate it till you are ready to cook.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat and sear the chicken skin side down for 9-10 minutes. Flip and cook for another 8-9 minutes. Plate it out.
- In the same pan, add in diced onion and bell peppers and sauté till it starts to soften. Add in garlic and sauté for a minute. Add in 2 Tbsp Spanish seasoning and cook for a minute.
- Add rice and stir it well for a minute.
- Add chicken broth along with tomato sauce and saffron. Combine well and bring it to boil. Taste and season for salt. Add peas and chicken to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken and rice is cooked.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 445Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 168mgSodium 3874mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 35g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.