One bite into this Spanish Chicken with Chorizo, and you are going to fall in love! Bursting with great flavors and textures, it’s a perfect meal for company or special occasion.
Tender chicken thighs are oven braised with chorizo sausage, tomatoes, peppers, olives, chick peas, and plenty of flavor enhancers.
This is one restaurant quality recipe that definitely deserves a spot in your rotation!
This Spanish chicken recipe is one of our new favorites, a total flavor bomb. And like other such dishes, it doesn’t require a lot of hands on time. Your oven does most of the work.
Then, all you need to do is bring a big appetite, because you’re gonna want seconds!
Tips for the BEST Spanish Chicken
- Use dark meat, please. Breast isn’t suitable for this type of cooking. We prefer thighs, but leg quarters work well, too.
- Don’t undercook it. Though chicken is technically done at 165 degrees, for fall off the bone tender meat cook thighs to 185-190 degrees.
- Use the correct chorizo. Spanish chorizo is dry cured, whereas Mexican chorizo is raw. You want the former.
- Be generous with the seasonings. As I always say, if you want flavor in your food you have to put flavor in your food.
- Chicken thighs – Bone in, skin on.
- Veggies – Canned tomatoes, onion and red bell peppers.
- Spanish chorizo sausage
- Garbanzo beans
- Raisins – Golden this time, but you can use regular for different flavors.
- Olives – We like a mix of black and green, but use whatever you have on hand.
- Flavor enhancers – Garlic, fresh thyme, paprika, salt and pepper.
Spanish Chicken Recipe
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Seasoning the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, then brown it on both sides in a greased oven safe skillet. Plate it out. Do the same with the chorizo.
Add diced tomatoes, chick peas, olives, raisins, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a few minutes, then return the chicken and chorizo to the mix.
Bake for about an hour, or until chicken reads 185-190°F with an instant read thermometer.
Your gorgeous dish is ready to serve!
What to Serve with Spanish Braised Chicken
The first choice is always some nice crusty bread. If you want to make your own, try our easy No Knead Bread recipe.
Leftovers and Storage
Make a big batch of this Spanish Chicken and enjoy for a few days, as it keeps on getting better. Store it in an air tight container up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
This freezes beautifully too, up to 3-4 months. Simply thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat it on the stovetop, adding a dash of water if necessary.
The next time chicken is on the menu, go the Spanish way. We’re sure you’ll be glad you did.
Save or pin this great recipe, so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Spanish Chicken with Chorizo, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in skin on
- 8oz Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olives (green, black or mixed)
- 1 15.5oz can chick peas, drained
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 9-10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp paprika + more for seasoning chicken
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Add chicken to skillet and brown 6-7 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- Add chorizo to skillet and brown 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to plate.
- Add diced tomatoes, chick peas, olives, raisins, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Nestle the chicken (skin side up) and chorizo into the mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until chicken reads 185-190°F with an instant read thermometer.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.