Super Delish Dinner in minutes… Is it possible? Sure it is. All you need is some shrimp and one of my favorite condiments in my pantry… Chili Oil!!! Get ready for my amazing Spicy Garlic Shrimp.
You can whip up this cracking shrimp recipe in a matter of minutes, and get those Asian flavors going for a quick weeknight meal.
The garlicky spicy flavors get balanced beautifully with butter, and when the shrimp get enveloped with this buttery Asian concoction, you end up with a dish that you will come back to again and again…
Whenever I am cooking shrimp, I tend to veer towards a spicy profile. Be it Hunan Shrimp, Shrimp Fra Diavolo, Harissa Shrimp or Laksa, I am always excited to get that “heat” going in my pot with this particular crustacean.
Today I am going to try my recent obsession in this shrimp recipe. My favorite Asian condiment, Chili Oil. Since we introduced Chili Oil to the GypsyPlate kitchen, this is one bottle that keeps emptying at surprising speed.
After making Spicy Noodles with Chili Oil, we decided to add a good bunch into these Asain style shrimp, and the results are absolutely addictive and finger licking delicious.
These Spicy Garlic Shrimp is for You, if
- You love flavors in your food. Though it says spicy, they are not so hugely hot that you reach out for water. Chili oil is compensated with honey and butter to make it pleasantly spicy.
- You’re in a hurry. They are Super Quick. Like 10 minutes quick. Yes, great for busy weeknight meals.
- You want simple. They are made with pantry staple ingredients.
What is Chili Oil?
Chili oil is just your regular oil infused with chilis. But it’s so popular in some of the southeast Asian countries that everyone has their own favorite recipe, with a lot of other aromatics thrown in.
It’s one of their favorite condiments, generously drizzled over noodles, eggs and salads, and is a a major ingredient in many of their dishes.
Any type of neutral oil, such as canola or peanut oil, is used for infusing chili pepper flavor. Hot oil is poured over chilis, and then allowed to cool. That’s it for basic chili oil.
Many times, though, lots of other aromatics like star anis, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns, black peppercorns, shallots, garlic and ginger are added for extra flavor.
Make this bottle TODAY, we have a great recipe on GypsyPlate, Chili Oil.
Spicy Garlic Shrimp Ingredients
- For Stir Fry Sauce – Oyster sauce, chili oil (homemade or store-bought), honey, black pepper.
- Shrimp – Use fresh, wild caught shrimp for quality flavors. We always keep the tails on.
- Garlic – Lots of it, as usual in any Asian dish.
- Shaoxing wine – Or rice wine or white wine for substitutes.
- Butter – Creates a delicious buttery sauce along with the rest of the ingredients.
- For garnish – Cilantro and scallions (green parts).
How to Make Spicy Garlic Shrimp
1. Make the Stir Fry Sauce: Easy. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and keep it ready.
2. Cook Shrimp:
Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat, add butter and let it melt and bubble. Add garlic and sauté until light golden, about 1 minute. Add in shrimp and sauté for a couple of minutes.
3. Mix in Sauce:
Add in wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Mix in the stir fry sauce and cook till shrimp is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and scallions. Serve over rice or noodles.
How Long Do You Cook the Shrimp?
When the shrimp are no longer transparent and are turning more of an opaque white color, the shrimp is done cooking.
Keep a close eye on how white they get and assure they do not overcook. If they are too bright white in color, then the shrimp may be overcooked.
Keeping an eye on how they “curl” up is also a good way to watch how done your shrimp are getting. Figure that C-shaped indicates “cooked” and O-shaped indicates “overcooked”.
What to Serve with Spicy Shrimp
- Our first choice is always warm, freshly made jasmine or basmati rice.
- You can use brown rice, or even cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Noodles like chow mein, lo mein, or any other Asian variety of your choice.
- Try them in lettuce wraps.
- Serve them as part of an Asian style salad, or in buddha bowls.
One more easy dinner… one more great shrimp dinner, and one more happy tasty night. All because you happen to be on GypsyPlate. Subscribe and share the love…
Spicy Garlic Shrimp, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
Try these other great Shrimp Recipes!
Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits
Asopao de Camarones
New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
Shrimp Foil Packs
Gambas al Ajillo
Spicy Garlic Shrimp
This Spicy Garlic Shrimp recipe is a super quick and easy weeknight dinner option bursting with great Asian flavors!
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili oil (homemade or store bought)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- 1.5 pounds shrimp
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 6-8 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine (or rice wine or white wine)
- cilantro, for garnish
- scallions (green parts), for garnish
- Mix oyster sauce, honey, chili oil and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add butter and let it melt and bubble, but don't let it burn. Add garlic and sauté until light golden, about 1 minute.
- Add in shrimp and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add in wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Mix in the stir fry sauce and cook till shrimp is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Garnish it with cilantro and scallions. Serve over rice or noodles.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.