These Steak Tacos are going to be the newest addition to your weekly dinner menu.
Tender, juicy steak piled high in tortillas with all of your favorite toppings. What could be better than that?
They’re a super easy weeknight meal the whole family will love!
It’s taco time again! Well, it’s taco time a lot around here. These steak tacos are our latest favorites.
The key to these tacos is the seasoning. If your steak tastes great, everything else will fall into place.
The steak can be grilled or pan seared, so this is the perfect taco recipe for a sunny summertime lunch, or a rainy winter night’s dinner. It’s an anytime taco that can accommodate any of your favorite toppings.
This is going to become your new family favorite!
What is the Best Cut of Steak to Use?
Our top choice is flank steak, it’s perfect for quick cooking and has great flavor. Check out our collection of Flank Steak Recipes to see other ways to use this versatile cut.
After flank, skirt steak and sirloin are the best options.
Higher end cuts like New York strip and ribeye would go great in these tacos, but they are more expensive and the difference really isn’t worth it in tacos.
- Seasonings – lime juice, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Tortillas – We prefer flour with steak, but corn would certainly work if you prefer.
- Toppings – This time we used avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese and cilantro. See below for more topping ideas.
How to Make Steak Tacos
- Prep the steak: Remove it from the fridge half an hour before cooking. Squeeze the lime juice on it, then mix the remaining seasonings together and rub all over the steak.
- Cook the steak: Either grill or pan sear it to your desired doneness (see chart below). Cover with foil and rest 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Heat tortillas: Give them a quick sear on each side in a hot, ungreased skillet. About 10 seconds per side should do, just until some brown spots start to appear.
- Load tacos: Generously pile steak and all your favorite toppings.
Steak Doneness Temperatures
These tacos should be customized to your preferences, so the steak should be cooked the way you like it.
Times will vary according to cut and thickness, but you will want the temperature on an instant read thermometer to read:
- Rare: 120°F
- Medium Rare: 130°F
- Medium: 140°F
- Medium Well: 150°F
- Well: 160°F
After cooking, cover with foil and allow to rest 5-10 minutes.
Once you have the tortillas and steak, there are so many ways you can customize your tacos…
- Veggies – tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, corn, cabbage, onions or scallions
- Cheese – cheddar, pepper jacks, cotija, feta or gorgonzola (it goes great with steak)
- Sauces – pico de gallo, salsa verde, salsa taquera, mango salsa or chipotle mayo
- Flavor enhancers – black olives, jalapeños (fresh or pickled), cilantro
We usually have steak tacos on their own, or with a side of refried beans. Our Mexican Street Corn Salad also goes well with them.
You can store leftover steak for 2-3 days in the fridge, if you have any left. Reheat it in a skillet over medium high heat before making your next batch of tacos.
Make it a taco night in your home. Everyone is going to love these tasty and versatile tacos. Watch the whole family chomp on them one after another.
Pin or bookmark this great steak taco recipe so you always know where to find it. We have a feeling that you’ll be coming to this recipe again and again.
And, if you haven’t already, be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you. Until next time…
Steak Tacos, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
In the mood for more tacos? We have plenty for you!
Ground Beef Tacos
Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos
Korean Beef Tacos
Baja Fish Tacos
Steak Tacos - Tender steak piled high in tortillas with all your favorite toppings. What could be better than that?
- 1.5 pounds steak (flank, skirt or sirloin)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1.5 tsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- toppings of your choice
- Remove the steak from the fridge half an hour before cooking. Squeeze the lime juice on it, then mix the remaining seasonings together and rub all over the steak
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Cook the steak to your desired doneness. Cooking times will vary depending on cut and thickness. See note for temperature chart. Remove to a plate, cover with aluminum foil and rest 10 minutes.
- Heat an ungreased non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once it’s hot, cook the tortillas about 10 seconds per side, just until some brown spots start to appear.
- Slice steak against grain. Load tortillas generously with steak and your favorite toppings.
Cook steak to the following temperature, as measured by an instant read thermometer. Temperature will continue to rise as it rests.
- Rare - 120°F
- Medium Rare - 130°F
- Medium - 140°F
- Medium Well - 150°F
- Well - 160°F
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.
2 thoughts on “Steak Tacos”
i love ur recipes. adventures in food !