Looking for some new Mussel Recipes? You’ve come to the right place! They’re so good just steamed in a little white wine, but these tasty little mollusks are actually so versatile. Today we’re presenting you with 20 great easy dishes you can whip up in your own kitchen.
First, a little about mussels…
Though they may not be quite as famous as some other seafood varieties, mussels are a great food choice for a number of reasons:
- They’re a healthy, lean protein packed with healthy omega 3 fatty acids and several important minerals like zinc, folate and iron.
- Mussels are sustainably farmed and actually improve the water quality where they are grown. They are so good for the local environment that the Ecological Society of American stated that eating mussels may be a greener option than going vegan!
- Compared to many other seafood options, they are budget friendly.
Most mussels found in North America come from Prince Edward Island in northeast Canada. As such, you will often see them advertised as P.E.I. Mussels. They are considered among the best in the world.
Tips for buying and storing mussels
It’s important that you buy good quality, live, fresh mussels.
- They should have a light ocean smell and wet, shiny shells.
- Any mussels that are not tightly closed need to be checked by tapping on a counter. If they do not close, they should be discarded.
- If not using the same day, drain them well and refrigerate in a bowl covered with a damp paper towel.
- Do not store your mussels in fresh water, this can kill them.
Now that you know a little about these underrated shellfish, let’s get to the recipes…
1. Portuguese Mussels
One of my favorite mussel recipes, this Portuguese dish is packed with flavor. It looks so fancy that it makes a great special occasion meal, but is so easy that it’s perfect for any weeknight!
Now, this one is special… Moqueca is a marvelously tasty Brazilian seafood stew, with a decadent coconut milk base.
Simple ingredients like tomatoes, peppers and pantry staple seasonings, along with a squeeze of lime at the end, all come together to create magic.
3. Caribbean Coconut Mussels
Creamy… coconutty… seefoody… Extra yummy Caribbean Coconut Mussels. Easy, delicious, and sure to please any crowd! Try this delicious Caribbean style curry, but be warned, you will get hooked!
4. French Steamed Mussels (Moules Marinières)
These creamy, garlicky, wine infused mussels are a Provençal classic. They go great as an appetizer with some nice crusty bread or as a main with pasta. Bon Appétit!
Paella is a classic Spanish rice dish packed with chicken, sausage and seafood. This one is a perfect for company meals that will really impress the guests!
6. Pasta with Mussels in San Marzano Tomato Sauce
Just look at that bowl of pasta! Perfectly cooked mussels in a simple but tasty San Marzano tomato sauce. All you need to complete that meal is a glass of your favorite red!
Get the Recipe @ stripedspatula
7. Mussel and Leek Tarts
These tasty little mussel and leek tarts are a great appetizer to bring to your next pot luck or get together. Everyone will be impressed by your creativity!
8. Creamy Avgolemono Mussels with Pasta
Now this is one delicious, creamy, lemony pasta dish! Your favorite mussels and perfectly cooked pasta coated in Greek avgolemono sauce. So yum!
Get the Recipe @ oliveandmango
9. Thai Red Curry Mussels
Make you mussels a bit exotic with this great Thai red curry. It features a creamy, coconut based sauce that can be made spicy or mild.
10. Baked Spicy Mussels
This easy sheet pan style meal beautifully combines the spiciness of chili sauce, the saltiness of capers and the sweetness of cherry tomatoes (you know I love those, right?). Great weeknight dinner idea!
Get the Recipe @ mommyshomecooking
11. Potato Mussel Chowder
This hearty, creamy potato mussel chowder just screams Comfort Food! Have a big bowl alongside some nice crusty bread and you have the perfect winter warmer.
12. Mussels Saganaki
This Greek style saganaki is another of my favorite mussel recipes. Something about the combination of herby tomato sauce and feta cheese just goes perfectly with mussels. This is another one that calls for a big chunk of crusty bread!
Get the Recipe @ katerinaskouzina
13. Catalan Fish Stew
This delicious Spanish style stew features mussels, fish, shrimp, clams and squid. A real seafood feast!
14. Roasted Mussels with Garlic Butter Crumbs
Here’s another great party appetizer idea for you. These baked mussels are topped with crispy, buttery, garlicky bread crumbs. These will disappear from the appetizer table in no time!
Here’s a hearty and tasty stew for you! Loads of seafood are simmered in a perfectly seasoned tomato and wine based broth. A San Francisco classic!
16. Kerala Style Mussels Fry
These spicy and aromatic stir fried mussels come from the south Indian state of Kerala. They’re great with rice or as tasty appetizer on their own.
Get the Recipe @ alittlebitofspice
17. Spicy Catalan Mussels with Almond Picada
This amazing Spanish mussel recipe has an amazing tomato based sauce that is both seasoned and topped with almond picada. Amazingly flavorful dish!
Get the Recipe @ olivemagazine
18. Beer Braised Mussels
These drunken mussels are braised in beer, rather than the usual wine, and topped with homemade chimichurri sauce. YUM!
19. Chilli Mussels in Coconut Milk
Asian inspired chilli mussels are creamy with a great combination of sweet and spicy. I love them with crust bread. This great meal whips up in less than half an hour!
Get the Recipe @ slowthecookdown
20. Chipotle Seafood Stew
This hearty seafood stew has that distinctive smokiness of chipotle peppers. Top it up with corn, cilantro and avocado and you’ve given some great Latin flavors to your mussels!
Get the Recipe @ growingupbilingual
21. Seafood Boil
Wrapping up our list, this seafood boil is a real Low Country classic. Potatoes, corn, sausage and tons of seafood all boiled up in a giant pot. This one is perfect for parties and get togethers!
Get the Recipe @ fettysfoodblog
We hope you’ve enjoyed this collection of amazing Mussel Recipes! Be sure to pin or bookmark it so you can keep coming back for more.
At GypsyPlate, we love experimenting with new foods and flavors from all over the world. We have plenty of great recipes and collections coming your way, so be sure to subscribe. Until next time…
The 20 BEST Ways to Cook Mussels
This great collection of Mussel Recipes will give you a new appreciation for that underrated mollusk! One of my favorites is this easy Mussel Curry:
- 2 lbs mussels
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 12 oz beer
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 Tbsp parsely
- 2 green onions
- ¼ to 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Wash mussels thoroughly if fresh. If you are using packaged mussels, thaw according to directions and and retain the mussel juice, as it adds good flavors.
- Chop onions, tomato, ginger, garlic and green onions. Remember to wear gloves when handling scotch bonnet peppers and wash your hands immediately. Discard the seeds and only use the flesh of scotch bonnet peppers.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add onion, garlic and ginger. sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion becomes a bit translucent. Add the curry powder and turn down the heat and cook for 3 minutes to toast the curry, which will bring out the flavors of the spices from the curry blend.
- Add the diced green onions and half of parsley. Turn up the heat and add the mussels. Give it a stir. Add tomatoes, finely chopped scotch bonnet peppers or green chilies, salt and black pepper. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add beer and bring it to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes until the mussels open.
- Finish it off with fresh lemon juice and garnish it with cilantro and parsley.
- Let me know which recipes you try, I love hearing from you!
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.
2 thoughts on “The 20 BEST Mussel Recipes”
Hello!! I just came across these delicious Mussel re pies which I’m looking so forward to trying out! 😝
We’ve moved to Dubai and I can buy frozen mussel meat, no shell, what do u think? It would make it a lot easier cooking them without the shell?
Thank you in advance,
That should work fine. The shells just make the dishes look pretty 🙂