Let’s talk about lazy days… tired days… “I don’t want to cook anything, yet I gotta eat” days! I hear you, life is real… so is this honey mustard chicken!
Juicy, tender, succulent, fall of the bone meat with crispy golden brown skin, covered in a sweet and savory honey mustard glaze. This one pan wonder of chicken is an absolute you-need-in-your-life kind of thing. Just save it for those lazy, tired, don’t want to cook yet need to eat days. This Quick, Sticky, Saucy, Sweet, Savory and Soy-Honey-Mustard with garlic infused Chicken… it’s a game changer!
Honestly, do you think such things exist? When you don’t do much, yet it turns out to be an excellent eating night? This dish is just 10 minutes prep time and then you can let the oven do the work. It just takes a few ingredients that your pantry is always full of. It’s the ultimate meal prep dish. You can prep it, leave it in the fridge and then pop it in the oven when you come home tired. Then just relax with your family and loved ones. My friends, it’s time to roll this honey mustard chicken into your rotation!
Ok, what we are doing here is simple…
You are going to whisk some things in a bowl to make this quick, sticky, sweet honey mustard sauce and pour it over chicken. Do a favor to your chicken and to you by marinating it a few hours or days. Then just bake it until it is done to golden brown crispiness. Life can be easy, it’s just the way you look at it and deal with it!
This is ALL you need for this Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken – We are using drumsticks today, but feel free to use anything you feel like. Besides drumsticks, my other personal favorites would be bone in, skin on thighs or leg quarters.
- Honey – Those glazed sticky sweet notes… you want? Honey is your answer.
- Mustard – We are using grainy mustard, which is a little coarser and chunkier and bolder.
- Soy sauce – To really enhance the flavor.
- Garlic – It’s a nice addition, believe me. Chop to desired size.
- Chili flakes – For a little OOMMPH. You can skip it, but it’s not spicy with a little.
- Olive oil – To blend everything together as a sauce and give a nice crispy layer to the chicken.
- Chicken broth – We love a little sauce.
- Ground black pepper – To taste.
This is how ridiculously easy this Honey Mustard Chicken is…
All you are doing is mixing everything together except chicken and chicken broth for a minute or so in a jar until everything emulsifies and is well combined.
Pour this mixture over your chicken and marinade for a few hours. Overnight would be fantastic! No time at all? It would still work, but marinating infuses those distinguishable honey mustard flavors into the meat. Remember, it’s meal prep thing so you can put these chicken pieces along with the marinade in a ziploc bag and freeze for a later weekday meal.
When you are ready to cook, just pour everything into your baking dish. We add about 1/2 cup of chicken broth and swish it around, as we like this honey mustard a bit saucy. You must have noticed we skipped the salt, as soy and chicken broth have plenty of salt to flavor it. If you want it a little thicker you can skip the broth and add salt to taste. Bake it in preheated oven at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. If you feel it needs little bit more TLC, you can baste it with the sauces after 30 minutes.
The last few minutes broil it to get the desired color. It should be done after about an hour, but we always use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165°.
Plate it out and serve with your favorite veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus or anything you desire that day… see, great keto option.
Also goes great with any rice or grains.
Could you… ?
- Use other chicken parts instead of drumsticks? YES, bone in thighs works perfectly and you would still achieve that tender fall of the bone results. If you are die hard fan of breasts, you can do it, just vary cooking time accordingly.
- Use different types of mustard? YES. Dijon, yellow, or hot mustard can be used in place of the grainy variety. You can even use two types of mustard and the taste would vary a bit.
- Cook this in the crock pot? YES! Just cook it for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Freeze this? YES, wrap tightly in cling wrap, put in ziploc bag and freeze up to 2 months. Refrigerate in airtight container as leftovers for 3-5 days.
PS… Did you notice that beautiful caramelized glaze created by baking with all that honey + soy + mustard? YUM IT IS!!
Baked Honey Mustard Chicken, on my Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 5-6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (you can use 1 cup if want more sauce)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Mix all ingredients except chicken and broth.
- Pour mixture over chicken and marinate in fridge 1 hour to overnight (optional).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add chicken, along with chicken broth, to the baking dish and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes (until internal temperature reaches 165°F). Broil the last few minutes to get a golden brown color.
The sauce proportions are for 5-6 drumsticks. We love to make big batches, you can always adjust sauce accordingly.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 441Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 231mgSodium 1404mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 46g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.