Give your classic comfort food a new twist, and make this Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup. It has all the flavors you love, but is somehow more fun!
Perfect for when the temperatures start to dip, the whole family is going to love slurping this tasty soup down.
Make a huge pot of this deliciousness, and cozy up to the biggest bowl you can find!
We just love soups in the fall and winter time. They’re the best way to warm your belly and your soul.
This time, we decided to give everyone’s favorite get-well food a little makeover.
Why You’ll Love Meatball Chicken Noodle Soup
- It’s a healthy soup with plenty of veggies and lean protein.
- You can easily make a big batch ahead of time, as it is great as leftovers.
- Although this version is based off of classic chicken noodle soup, there are plenty of ways to customize it.
- Everyone will go gaga over this version. I mean, who doesn’t love meatballs?
- Ground chicken
- Binders – egg, panko, parmesan cheese.
- Seasonings – oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, garlic, red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- Olive oil
- Veggies – onion, carrots, celery.
- Chicken stock – the base of the soup.
- Herbs – rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, parsley.
- Flavor enhancers – garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice.
- Pasta – we used ditalini.
How to Make Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup
Mix together all meatball ingredients. Form into small meatballs, about 1 inch.
TIP: If you refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes prior to forming the meatballs, they are easier to shape.
Heat some olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add in additional olive oil along with onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for at least 5 minutes. For more detail on how to properly soften this vegetable mixture, check out our Italian Soffritto post.
Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock along with rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Bring to a boil, then add in the meatballs and uncooked pasta. Cook until the pasta is done to your liking (about 10-15 minutes, depending on the shape).
Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley. If you desire a side, try our No Knead Bread, it goes great with this soup!
- Use different small pasta shapes like orzo or acini de pepe. Or, double the fun factor and use alphabet pasta.
- Play with different veggies. Spinach or kale would go great in this soup.
- Give it a flavor boost with a few tablespoons of Pesto Sauce.
- Add a dash of heavy cream at the end.
- Give it a kick by adding in red chili flakes or Chili Oil.
- Or, just replace the meatballs with diced rotisserie chicken for a more conventional chicken noodle soup!
Leftovers and Storage
Refrigerate leftover chicken meatball noodle soup in a covered container for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
Freeze portions in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Give this neat variation of chicken noodle soup a try the next time the weather is chilly, you need a pick me up, or just want something delicious. We’re sure you’re be making this one again and again.
Save or pin this great recipe, so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Chicken Meatball Noodle Soup, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 small carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, uncooked
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Mix together all meatball ingredients. Form into small meatballs, about 1 inch.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add in remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock along with rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bring to a boil, then add in the meatballs and uncooked pasta. Cook until the pasta is done to your liking (about 10-15 minutes, depending on the shape).
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.
- If substituting fresh herbs for dried, or vice versa, 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 376Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 123mgSodium 749mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 30g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.