This Firecracker Salmon is a super easy and super delish meal that must become part of your rotation. It has an amazing Asian sauce and whips up in about 20 minutes.
If you’re looking for a new recipe to really jazz up your salmon, this is it! It’s salty, it’s sweet, and it’s a little bit spicy! Firecracker salmon just may become one of your new go-to recipes.
It only takes a few ingredients. It’s easy enough for busy weeknights. And it’s a restaurant quality meal you can serve to guests. It’s very healthy, too… Win, win, win, win!
The sauce is so jam packed with great flavors, and it pairs so well with the tender buttery salmon. Trust me, you’ll be coming back to this one again and again.
Ingredients for Firecracker Salmon
- Soy Sauce
- Sambal Oelek – In it’s absence you can mix some kind of hot sauce, sweet chili sauce and red chili flakes.
- Brown sugar – You can keep it keto with a brown sugar substitute such as brown monk fruit sweetener.
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to make Firecracker Salmon
This one happens real quick. You ready?
While your skillet is getting hot (we recommend cast iron, but you can also use non-stick), finely chop ginger and garlic. Mix them in a bowl with soy sauce, sambal oelek and brown sugar… the magical firecracker sauce!
Season your salmon with some olive oil and salt and pepper.
Once the skillet is hot, add in some olive oil, then sear the salmon skin side down for 4-5 minutes.
Flip and cook 3-4 more minutes.
Add in your sauce, swish everything together, generously spooning the sauce all over the salmon. And… done!
What to serve with Firecracker Salmon
Today we served it with carrots and broccolini. Some white rice is great to sop up the sauce.
For a low carb option, try cauliflower rice.
I can see it going great with my mashed sweet potatoes.
Storing and reheating leftovers
This is a great meal prep option. You can keep leftovers 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Simply reheat in the microwave, or in a covered pan with a little water.
So there you have it friends, one flavor bomb of a salmon meal! Go beyond the “salt and pepper” routine and try this delicious recipe in your home today. Please leave a comment or review when you cook this, I love hearing from you.
And be sure to subscribe to the GypsyPlate mailing list, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Firecracker Salmon, on my Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 2 8oz salmon fillets
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sambal oelek (see note 1)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 heaping Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Make firecracker sauce: mix together soy sauce, sambal oelek, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a bowl.
- Rub 1 Tbsp olive oil on flesh side of salmon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add salmon, skin side down, to skillet and cook 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Flip salmon back over, pour firecracker sauce into skillet and coat the salmon well with the sauce. Cook until sauce is hot.
- In absence of sambal oelek, use a mix of any hot sauce, sweet chili sauce and some red chili flakes. That being said, it is readily available in the Asian section of most grocery stores.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.