Why sweet potato mash? Nowadays, potatoes seem out! But sweet potatoes are in!! BIG TIME IN!!! Everywhere you go, everywhere you look, they are “in”… sweet potato fries… sweet potato chips… sweet potato balls… and yes, sweet potato mash. Why not? It’s super yum, it’s healthy and nutritious… result? Your good old potatoes are taking a back seat to this new age healthy option.
— Authors note: This post is a little late. We were prepared to post it over a week ago, but had to evacuate from Hurricane Dorian! We were spared here, as the storm moved north. Best wishes to the folks in the Bahamas, we wish you a speedy recovery! —
The biggest reason sweet potatoes are in at the Beisers’ now a days is Noah. They’re my son’s favorite food. When it comes to Noah, he eats anything and everything, from peas to broccoli to spaghetti to creamy sauces, he even had some Indian dal last night. It’s in his genes, connoisseur of good food. Foremost of all, we get big smiles with this gooey buttery mash. He absolutely digs it. And as it’s appearing on our table quite regularly, this is becoming our choice of sides for many things like fried chicken or baked salmon.
I am calling these easy mashed sweet potatoes LAZY, as they’re super easy and I make them when I’m feeling lazy. Usually, you either boil or roast the sweet potatoes, both would take considerable time. So what’s the alternative when you want a quick meal for your baby or can’t spare much time for your side dish? Especially during holidays, guys… with all those big meals… cooking all day… your oven already brimming full. When you don’t even have spare time to take an extra breath, these mashed sweet potatoes are the savior.
So, what’s the quick fix?
Stick them in microwave and within minutes they are done! Be sure to pierce them in several places with a fork, otherwise you will have one messy microwave!
And then all you need to do is MASH IT… a little milk, salt, butter, DONE!
Is that too simple for you?
Well, here are some ideas to spruce them up:
1. I feel sweet potatoes come loaded with inherent sweetness, but you can sweeten this dish more with a little maple syrup.
2. Stir in some fresh rosemary.
3. Sprinkle in some cinnamon and/or nutmeg.
5. Top with toasted pecans or candies pecans. This is especially great for the holidays.
6. Stir in some kind of cheese. I like goat cheese, but some nice cheddar or blue cheese is great too.
7. Feel a little whacky? How about some chopped bacon? Bacon is good with anything… that saltiness of bacon with the sweetness of the mash… yum yum!
I think my dream sweet potato mash would be a little white cheddar with a tiny dash of maple and a hint of rosemary and candied pecans on top… sounds like a king of mash!! Hmmm, I’m going to make that for the coming holidays!! But for the time being, it’s what Noah likes: simple, easy… and lazy!!
HAPPY NOAH AND HAPPY MAMA!!!
Get more happy recipes by subscribing to GypsyPlate, just fill out the form at the top of the page!
Lazy Sweet Potato Mash, on my Gypsy Plate… Enjoy!!!
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- Pierce sweet potato skins with a fork numerous times.
- Microwave sweet potatoes on high 2 minutes. Rotate. Repeat until sweet potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes total.
- Scoop insides on sweet potatoes into large saucepan. Add milk and butter. Mash until smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
For variations, try adding:
- Maple syrup
- Fresh rosemary
- Cinnamon and/or nutmeg
- Toasted or candied pecans
- Cheddar or blue cheese
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 157Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 13mgSodium 190mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 4g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.