Sunny side up with a twist! Yes, you are right!! These eggs can be cooked just how you like them. Firm? Runny yolk? Something in the middle? They’re your eggs! Just nestle them in between garlicky mushrooms and wilted spinach with a little seasoning and you get a hearty, healthy, delicious breaky… or brunch… or even dinner!!
Some days you just want to go beyond your regular eggs. You don’t want that omelette you get up to a million times. Scrambled eggs just ain’t going to do it for you today. And you definitely need something more than your basic sunny side ups to bring some cheery-cheeries (yes, such word exists… in my toddler’s song book) into your life.
Well then, this veggie rich, lipsmackin’ thing is what’s been itching to come into your life. All you need is a few extra minutes to whip it up. Then you are looking at an awesome weekend breakfast… or even a great weekday egglicious night!
Just few simple ingredients
- Eggs – We are making a small couple’s skillet in my cute little mini cast iron skillet, so just 4 eggs. But you can easily double or triple this recipe in a larger pan.
- Spinach – That green boost you need from Popeye’s favorite. Check out my roundup of the best Spinach Recipes.
- Mushrooms – Any of your favorite types. We are using baby portabella.
- Garlic – Wilted spinach and mushrooms with a hint of garlic is so irresistible.
- Olive oil and butter – To fry these in.
- Thyme – Just a little makes a big difference.
- Red chili flakes – Yup, just a pinch.
- Black pepper – Freshly cracked.
- Salt – To taste.
Let’s get these sunny side ups started
Heat up your favorite skillet with some olive oil and butter over medium high heat. Slice you mushrooms and add to skillet. Sauté mushrooms till they get some nice color.
Mix in finely chopped garlic, thyme, red chili flakes and some salt and pepper. If mushrooms starts seeping out some water, cook till most of it gets evaporated. Time to add in spinach.
You will be amazed how much spinach one small skillet can take, as it wilts pretty fast. Add it in smaller batches so it’s easier to mix around.
Now make wells in this mushroom spinach mixture. I am only making 4 eggs, but make wells according to how many eggs you are using, one well per egg. Put a little blob of butter in each well, then crack one egg in each. Sprinkle some salt and freshly cracked black peppers on top.
Cover with a lid. Now it’s time to sip on that orange juice… or maybe a mimosa if you are turning this into a super Sunday brunch idea! Cook till the eggs are your desired runniness. Serve hot with some nice crusty bread to mop up those eggs and perfectly seasoned veggies. I assure you, it’s going to make your morning sunnier and cheerier!
Anything else in mind besides spinach and mushrooms? Try the same method with kale, arugula or Swiss chard instead of spinach. Have some of those beautiful baby cherry tomatoes? Throw them in! Maybe some chopped, cooked potatoes? Yes, why not!
In need of some extra protein? Those Jimmy Dean sausages sure look tempting… double protein power! Or top with crumbled feta or goat cheese, or some shredded parm.
Your breakfast will start looking so interesting with all these different skillet ideas, my friends. No more boring eggs. Period! Look at the world always sunny side up!!
Stay safe out there!
Mushroom, Spinach and Egg Breakfast Skillet, on my Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
Try these other great Breakfast recipes!
Sunday Morning Shakshuka
Bahamian Boiled Fish
Stunning Scrambled Eggs on English Muffins
Crustless Ham and Swiss Quiche
Grillades and Grits
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp butter, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter in 8" skillet over medium high heat.
- Slice mushrooms and add to skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes then add chopped garlic, thyme, and red chili flakes, along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until soft and all juices from mushrooms have evaporated.
- Add spinach, 1 cup at a time. As it wilts, add more until all is in the skillet and wilted.
- Using a spoon, make four depressions in the mushroom spinach mix. Divide remaining butter into each well. Crack one egg into each well. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until eggs are done to your preferred consistency.
- Serve with nice bread!
This recipe makes 4 eggs. For 6 eggs, multiply other ingredients by 1.5 and use a 10" skillet. For 8 eggs, double ingredients and use a 12" skillet.
This recipe is great topped with feta or goat cheese and some shredded parmesan.
This is best eaten fresh, so cook what you plan to eat in one sitting.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 332Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 395mgSodium 409mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 17g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.