These quick Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are the perfect family dinner, full of flavor and easy on the cleanup!
Well seasoned chicken and veggies all cook on a single baking sheet, and the end result is so succulent and delicious that you’ll want to make this recipe again and again.
Save this one for your hectic weeknights, it’s a game changer!
We love one pan meals. They’re so easy, and you don’t end up with a sink full of dishes.
Here’s another one of our go-to weeknight dinners.
What are Fajitas
Fajitas are a delectable dish that originates from the culinary traditions of northern Mexico and Texas, combining elements from both to create a meal that’s uniquely Tex-Mex.
The term “fajita” is derived from the Spanish word ‘faja’, meaning ‘belt’ or ‘girdle’, and it traditionally refers to grilled strips of marinated beef.
This dish was first recognized in the 1930’s among the Mexican ranch workers in Texas, who were given the less desirable cuts of beef as part of their pay.
They discovered that marinating these cuts in citrus and spices, then grilling them over an open fire, resulted in an exceptionally flavorful and tender meal.
Nowadays, the term fajita has evolved to encompass a broader range of ingredients, including chicken, shrimp, and even vegetables. Regardless of the primary ingredient, the characteristic feature of fajitas is the vibrant mix of sautéed or grilled bell peppers and onions served alongside.
They are typically enjoyed with warm flour tortillas, allowing diners to make their own wraps at the table.
Why We LOVE Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Easy to Make: Sheet pan fajitas are incredibly simple to prepare. With all the ingredients cooked together on one pan, there’s minimal fuss and less to clean up afterward.
- Customizable: Fajitas are incredibly versatile. You can easily swap out the chicken for beef, shrimp, or even a mix of vegetables for a vegetarian version. Plus, with a variety of toppings to choose from, everyone can customize their fajita to their liking.
- Healthy: Loaded with lean protein and a colorful array of veggies, these fajitas are not just tasty, but also packed with nutrients. It’s a meal you can feel good about eating.
- Perfect for Entertaining: Sheet pan fajitas are a crowd-pleaser. They’re fun to eat, making them perfect for dinner parties or family meals.
- Great Leftovers: Fajitas make excellent leftovers, making them perfect for meal prep.
- Flavorful: With the homemade fajita seasoning, each bite is full of flavor.
- Fast: Sheet pan fajitas are a quick dinner solution. In about half an hour, you can have a satisfying, restaurant-quality meal on the table.
- Chicken – Boneless skinless breast or thighs.
- Veggies – Onion and multi-colored bell peppers.
- Garlic – Because it’s so good.
- Lime juice – For a little tang.
- Olive oil – To keep the meat moist.
- Fajita seasoning – Chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
Easy Baked Chicken Fajitas Recipe
1. Marinate: In a large bowl, toss together chicken, bell peppers, onion, garlic lime juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil and prepared seasoning until well combined. If time allows, marinate for at least one hour in the fridge.
2. Bake: Arrange the chicken and veggies on a baking sheet.
Bake in oven preheated to 400°F for 20-25 minutes, till chicken is cooked through.
3. Serve: Serve with warmed tortillas, or check out some other serving ideas further down the post.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Chicken: Make sure to slice the chicken into thin strips, against the grain.
- Peppers: Use a variety of bell peppers for a colorful presentation. They not only add visual appeal but also provide different flavor profiles.
- Fajita Seasoning: While it may seem tempting to just use store bought seasoning packets, please don’t. Homemade Fajita Seasoning is so much better.
- Marinating: While you can simply toss everything together then bake, for best flavors let your chicken marinate for a few hours in the fridge if time allows.
- Sheet Pan Size: Make sure to use a large enough sheet pan so that your ingredients can spread out into a single layer. Overcrowding can lead to steaming instead of roasting.
How to Serve Baked Chicken Fajitas
The traditional way to serve fajitas is with warmed flour tortillas. Simply load up the tortilla with chicken and veggies, give them a good squeeze of lime, then chow down.
Try adding some additional toppings like Pico de Gallo, shredded cheese or guacamole.
For a fun fusion ideas, try the chicken and veggies with Arepas, in a sub, on pizza, or even over pasta. Get creative!
Leftovers and Storage
Leftover chicken fajitas store well. We like to make a big batch, as they’re great for meal prep.
Let cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container or zip top bags. Refrigerate for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 2 months. If freezing, store in individual serving sized portions, and thaw overnight in the fridge before eating.
Reheat in the microwave, or in a non-stick skillet on stovetop over medium heat with a splash of water.
Make a fun family dinner with minimal efforts on your part. Everyone will love digging in to these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas with equal gusto!
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into strips
- 3 bell peppers (multi-colored), cut into strips
- 1 small onion, cut into strips
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together all seasoning ingredients.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, bell peppers, onion, garlic lime juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil and prepared seasoning until well combined. If time allows, marinate for at least one hour.
- Arrange chicken and vegetables on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Drizzle on remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 284Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 138mgSodium 630mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 29g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.