This easy homemade Fajita Seasoning is the perfect blend of spices and herbs, and blows those store bought packs out of the water!
It only takes minutes of your time, but will take your Tex-Mex nights to a whole new level. Use it on chicken, beef, shrimp, or even veggies.
Any way you use it, you’re in for one flavorful dinner!
In case you didn’t know by now, homemade spice mixtures are the way to go. The stuff you buy in stores is usually too salty and full of cornstarch. Why would I want cornstarch in a spice mix?
This Fajita Seasoning is another one of our favorites, full of great Tex-Mex flavors!
Fajita Seasoning Ingredients
- Chili Powder – The base of the fajita seasoning, chili powder adds a smoky, mild heat that sets the foundational flavor.
- Cumin – This warming spice lends a distinctive earthy, nutty flavor that’s synonymous with traditional Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes.
- Paprika – It adds sweetness, vibrancy, and a slightly smoky dimension.
- Dried Oregano – Imparts a touch of minty, bitter-sweet complexity.
- Garlic Powder – We love our garlic.
- Onion Powder – Provides a sweet and savory element.
- Cayenne Pepper – This is where the heat comes in, making your fajitas lively and exciting.
- Brown Sugar – A small amount of brown sugar to help balance the heat and acidity of the other spices.
- Salt – More than just a flavor enhancer, salt helps to draw out and amplify the flavors of the other ingredients in your fajita mix.
- Pepper – The finishing touch.
Easy Fajita Seasoning Recipe
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. See, that wasn’t too hard, was it?
How to Use Fajita Seasoning
The most obvious use is for fajitas. We love our Flank Steak Fajitas and Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
Here are some other ways you can use fajita seasoning:
- Marinating Proteins: Combine 2 tablespoons of fajita seasoning with 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of lime juice to create a marinade for your proteins. You could use chicken, steak, tofu, or shrimp. Ideally, let the protein marinate for a few hours or even overnight in the refrigerator before grilling, sautéing, or baking. We love it with Grilled Chicken Thighs.
- Seasoning Vegetables: Toss veggies with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of fajita seasoning before roasting or grilling them. It’s especially great on Grilled Zucchini.
- Spicing Up Rice or Beans: Add a tablespoon or two of fajita seasoning to the cooking water for rice or beans to infuse them with extra flavor.
- Add it to Chili: Use in place of plain chili powder in chilis like Black Bean Chili or Ground Turkey Chili for an added depth of flavor.
- As a Taco Seasoning: While it’s perfect for fajitas, this blend can also be used for seasoning taco fillings. Just add the seasoning to your protein or veggies as you cook them, instead of Taco Seasoning.
How to Store Fajita Seasoning
Storing your homemade fajita seasoning properly can help to maintain its flavor and extend its shelf life. While it won’t spoil, it will lose its potency over time. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Use an Airtight Container: Store your fajita seasoning in a glass jar or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. This will help to protect it from air, moisture, and bugs.
- Cool, Dry Place: Keep the container in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Label and Date: Label your container with the name of the seasoning and the date you made it. This will help you keep track of its freshness. Homemade spice blends like fajita seasoning will generally stay at peak quality for about 6 months, assuming you used spices and herbs that were in good condition to begin with.
- Check for Freshness: Before using your fajita seasoning, give it a smell. If it still has a strong, aromatic scent, it should be good to use. If the scent has faded significantly, it may be time to make a new batch.
Bring on the flavors with our homemade Fajita Seasoning recipe. It’s so good and so easy that there’s no excuse to grab for those packets in the grocery store!
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Fajita Seasoning, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients until well mixed.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.