It’s summer, and that means time to fire up the grill! These Grilled Chicken Thighs are so good, and so easy, that they should be a mainstay on anyone’s summer menu.
All you need is a flavorful marinade, and a few tips and tricks, to cook these thighs perfect every time. Let’s get grilling!
Flame grilled chicken seems to be one of those foods that find it’s way to every corner of the globe. From Indian Tikka, to Greek Souvlaki, to Mexican Pollo Asado, there are a huge variety of flavors out there.
And once you master the technique, you’ll be enjoying these versatile grilled thighs in so many ways!
Tips for Grilling Chicken Thighs
- Skin on or skin off? That kind of depends on your experience grilling. Fat from the skin can drip and cause flare ups. If you’re new to grilling, go with skin off, it’s much easier.
- Bone in or boneless? This is a matter of personal preference. Bone in does cook more evenly, however it takes longer, and is less versatile.
- Marinate well. A boldly flavorful marinade will really make your grilled chicken stand out.
- Marinate long. Not some wimpy 20 minute affair. Give it at least a couple of hours.
- Cook to the right internal temperature. This can vary based on your preference. Measure with an instant read thermometer. See the chart below to grill chicken thighs just to your liking:
165°F – Minimum safe temperature. Very moist, with a slightly chewy texture.
175°F – Moist and flavorful, with a more tender texture.
185°F – Slightly drier, but still moist. Very tender and shreddable.
Grilled Chicken Marinade
We love playing with different marinades. Today we aren’t going with a particular theme. It’s just an all around good marinade that we like to use. You can find the ingredients in the recipe card.
The same marination and grilling technique we’re presenting here can also be used with any other marinade of your choice. Some of our favorites include:
- Greek Chicken Marinade
- Jamaican Jerk Marinade
- Cuban Mojo Marinade
- Carne Asada Marinade
- Teriyaki Marinade
How to Grill Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1. Marinate: Mix together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
Place the chicken in a large zip top bag, then pour in the marinade and combine well. Marinate your chicken for at least 2 hours, to overnight. Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minute prior to cooking.
2. Grill: Preheat grill over medium high heat to 425-450°F. Grill the chicken 8-10 minute per side, or until the internal temperature reaches your preferred doneness (see temperature chart). Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Thighs
This easy grilled chicken goes with a ton of different sides. Here are some of our top choices.
Other Ways to Use Grilled Chicken
Of course these thighs are great as a main dish along with your favorite sides. But they can also be incorporated into other dishes. Because of this, we like to make a huge batch for leftovers.
Here are a few ideas:
- Slice the thighs, then use them on salads, tacos or bowl meals.
- They’re a great addition to simple pastas like Fettuccine Alfredo, Penne alla Vodka, or Pesto Pasta.
- You can use them as filler for sandwiches, wraps or pitas.
- Dice them up and make an extra tasty chicken salad.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Refrigerate leftover grilled chicken thighs in an airtight container or zip top bag for 4-5 days.
Leftovers can also be frozen for 2-3 months. We recommend individually wrapping the thighs in cling wrap, then freezing the wrapped thighs together in a freezer safe zip top bag.
It’s a great meal prep option. Cook up a big batch, freeze them, then just thaw as many as you want at a time.
Leftover grilled chicken thighs are quite versatile, and can be used in a variety of ways. Slice the thighs then use them on salads, bowl meals, tacos, or pastas like Fettuccine Alfredo.
Kick off the cookout season right with our easy Grilled Chicken Thighs recipe. Whether you’re just looking for a fun weekend dinner, or a great potluck centerpiece, these thighs will be a sure hit.
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Grilled Chicken Thighs, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- Mix olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, dijon mustard, paprika, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a small bowl. Place the chicken in a large zip top bag, then pour in the marinade and combine well. Marinate your chicken at least 2 hours, to overnight.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minute prior to cooking.
- Preheat grill over medium high heat to 425-450°F.
- Grill the chicken 8-10 minute per side, or until the internal temperature reaches your preferred internal temperature (see note).
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before cutting.
Chicken Internal Temperature Guide:
- 165°F – Minimum safe temperature. Very moist, with a slightly chewy texture.
- 175°F – Moist and flavorful, with a more tender texture.
- 185°F – Slightly drier, but still moist. Very tender and shreddable. (this is our preferred doneness)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 277mgSodium 2149mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 56g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.