This easy Three Bean Salad recipe is a summertime potluck classic. But it goes so well with so many things, we love it all year long!
Fresh green beans are mixed with garbanzo beans and kidney beans, then all get tossed with a tangy dressing. It’s tasty, budget friendly, and a surefire hit.
Plus, it only takes about 12 minutes!
Well if you’re looking to switch it up, this classic three bean salad, which has been a potluck staple for generations, is a great option!
You’ll LOVE this Easy 3 Bean Salad Recipe Because it’s:
- Quick and Easy: With just 10 minutes of prep time and a brief 2-3 minutes of cooking, this recipe is perfect for those looking for a quick yet delicious meal or side dish.
- Versatile: This salad is perfect for various occasions. Serve it at room temperature for a refreshing summer side or chill it for a more crisp, cool treat. It’s an ideal accompaniment for BBQs, family dinners, or even as a protein-packed lunch option.
- Crowd-Pleasing: With its vibrant colors and inviting textures, this salad is sure to be a hit at any gathering. The combination of beans and the tangy dressing is just perfect.
- Nutrient-Packed: Beans are a powerhouse of nutrition, loaded with protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. Combined with the health benefits of olive oil and apple cider vinegar, this salad is as nutritious as it is tasty.
- Easily Adaptable: While this recipe is delicious as it is, it’s also versatile enough for you to add your own twist. We’ll give some ideas later in the post.
- Cost-Effective: Using simple, budget-friendly ingredients, this salad delivers a delicious dish without breaking the bank. Plus, using canned beans cuts down on cooking time and effort.
- Long-Lasting: Unlike some salads that can become soggy or wilted after a short time, this three bean salad retains its freshness and crunch for days, making it perfect for meal prep or leftovers.
- Suitable for Various Diets: Catering to various dietary needs, this three bean salad is both vegan and gluten-free. So, it’s perfect for sharing with friends and family of all diets.
- Green beans – Provides a crunchy texture and fresh taste.
- Garbanzo beans – Adds a creaminess and rich, nutty flavor.
- Kidney beans – Introduces color contrast and a soft bite.
- Red onion – Offers a sharp flavor contrast and a pop of color.
- Dressing – Extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, dijon mustard, fresh parsley, salt, pepper.
Classic Three Bean Salad Recipe
1. Make the Dressing: In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper until well combined.
2. Blanch the green beans: Prepare an ice water bath. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then blanch green beans for 2-3 minutes. Immediately transfer them to the ice water bath.
3. Toss the salad: In a large bowl, toss together green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and onion. Pour in dressing and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust.
What to Serve with 3 Bean Salad
This is one of the most versatile salads out there!
You can easily play with this salad to make it your own. Here are some ideas:
- Add some feta: This is our favorite variation, it’s so good!
- Swap out the beans: Replace any of the beans with different varieties like black beans or cannellini.
- Add veggies: Think cherry tomatoes, corn, bell peppers or cucumber.
- Give it some crunch: Some sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds give great texture.
- Play with the dressing: Try other dressings for different flavors.
Leftovers and Storage
Three bean salad makes great leftovers, as the flavors have time to mingle. Unlike lettuce based salads, you don’t have to worry about it getting soggy.
Refrigerate leftovers for 4-5 days in an airtight container. Give everything a good toss before serving, in case the dressing has sunk to the bottom.
Try this easy three bean salad for your future cookouts, or even just your weeknight dinners. And be sure to make a big batch, because everyone’s gonna want to dig in!
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Three Bean Salad, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8oz green beans, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 15oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced
- In a bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Prepare an ice water bath. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then blanch green beans for 2-3 minutes. Immediately transfer them to the ice water bath.
- In a large bowl, toss together green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and onion. Pour in dressing and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust.
- Serve at room temperature, or chill before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 324Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 0mgSodium 614mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 11gSugar 10gProtein 13g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.