This easy oven Roasted Broccoli recipe is going to boost your side dish game big time! It’s tender and perfectly seasoned, and that little bit of caramelization takes it over the top.
Just fresh broccoli, a little olive oil, and some simple seasonings are all you need. And it’s super versatile, and can go with just about anything.
So fire up your oven, because once you try roasting broccoli, you’ll never go back to plain old steamed!
Roasted broccoli is one of our favorite side dishes. The way those little buds get just a hint of crispiness, while the stem becomes nice and tender… just perfect!
Why We Love Oven Roasted Broccoli
- It’s easy on the work, and on cleanup.
- Roasted broccoli is very versatile. It can pair with a number of different mains, and can also be used as an ingredient in other dishes.
- Broccoli is a super healthy vegetable, packed with vitamins and minerals.
- It’s seriously delicious!
This is about as simple as it gets. We’ll give you a bunch of variations later in the post, but here are the basics:
- Broccoli – Fresh, cut into bite sized florets.
- Olive oil – Or any of your favorite cooking oils.
- Garlic – Also great when roasted.
- Salt and pepper
- Red chili flakes – Optional as garnish.
Roasted Broccoli Recipe
1. Prep the broccoli: Cut the broccoli into bite sized florets. Toss if with olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
2. Roast: Place the broccoli in oven preheated to 425°F. Roast for for 18-20 minutes, or until your preferred doneness.
3. Enjoy! Wasn’t that easy?
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use fresh, good quality broccoli. When shopping, avoid broccoli that has yellow or brown discolored spots.
- Dry your broccoli after washing. This ensures that it crisps up and caramelizes.
- Cut the florets into similar sized pieces, so that they all cook at a uniform rate.
- For easy clean up, line your baking sheet with parchment paper. If you don’t have any, be sure to grease the baking sheet.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. All of the florets should have enough space for hot air to circulate around them.
- Use the provided roasting time as a guideline only. The actual cooking time can vary depending on the size of the florets, your oven, or your preferred doneness.
What to Serve with Roasted Broccoli
Oven roasted broccoli goes with just about anything. If you’re looking for a meaty main to serve it with, some top picks are Seared Pork Chops, Salisbury Steak, BBQ Chicken, Pot Roast, and Chicken Fried Steak.
- Play around with different seasonings. Sprinkle on some Creole Seasoning, Shawarma Seasoning or Montreal Seasoning for different flavor profiles.
- Give it all a squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end for a burst of freshness.
- Sprinkle on some finely shredded parmesan or asiago cheese at the end.
- If you’re roasting broccoli as part of an Asian themed meal, add two teaspoons of minced garlic, two tablespoons of soy sauce, and replace one tablespoon of olive oil with sesame oil.
- Add other veggies. Carrots, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes go great here.
- Drizzle with your favorite sauce or dressing like Sriracha Mayo, Caesar Dressing, Remoulade, Garlic Aioli, or Yum Yum Sauce.
Leftovers and Storage
Refrigerate leftover roasted broccoli for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Reheat in the toaster oven or microwave.
It can also be frozen for 2-3 months. Cool completely, then transfer to freezer safe zip top bags, squeezing out as much air as possible before sealing.
Give your favorite green veggie a major upgrade, and try our oven roasted broccoli recipe. It’s so super easy to make, and so super delicious, that you’ll wonder why you used to steam it.
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Roasted Broccoli, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- red chili flakes, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss broccoli florets with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange broccoli on the baking sheet, allowing space between florets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until your preferred doneness.
- Garnish with red chili flakes, and serve with your favorite main course.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 154Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 0mgSodium 361mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 6gSugar 2gProtein 4g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.