If you’re looking for a delicious and new way to cook white fish, then you’ve come to the right place!
Whether you are an amateur home cook or a master chef, these White Fish Recipes will excite your taste buds with their array of flavorful ingredients.
With its flaky texture and lean protein, white fish is one of the most versatile types of seafood – perfect for experimenting in the kitchen!
Impress friends and family alike with these easy yet delightful recipes that redefine what it means to dine on white fish.
White Fish Recipes:
1. Moqueca (Brazilian Seafood Stew)
Now, this one is special… Moqueca is a marvelously tasty Brazilian seafood stew, with a decadent coconut milk base.
Simple ingredients like tomatoes, peppers and pantry staple seasonings, along with a squeeze of lime at the end, all come together to create magic.
It’s one of those dishes that are easy enough for any weekday, but impressive enough for company. Trust me, they’ll be asking for the recipe…
2. Baja Fish Tacos
These Baja Fish Tacos are one of our new favorite handheld meals. Soft tortillas packed full of beer battered fish, pico de gallo, avocado and chipotle mayo. Serious YUM!
They’re a fun weekend meal, or a great dish to serve to guests. And you can have your taco bar on the table in about 20 minutes.
If you crave, crave, crave tacos like me, you NEED these in your life!
3. Psari Plaki (Greek Baked Fish with Onions & Tomatoes)
Are you looking for something different to cook with your white fish? Then you need to try Psari Plaki!
Try creating this easy and fresh, yet delicate fish dish with all the goodness of Greek flavors. It has simple ingredients yet it turns into one delectable and interesting meal.
4. Mediterranean Fish with Tomato and Olive Tapenade
Your favorite fish, in a Mediterranean avatar! Imagine a nice chunk of white fish, pan seared and top up with the goodness of this bright delicious tapenade.
This looks and tastes like a gourmet entrée, straight from some fine restaurant. But you will be amazed how quick it all comes together and how little effort it demands.
5. Bahamian Boiled Fish
Try the Bahamas’ most popular and quintessential comfort food at its best.
And do you know when to enjoy it like the locals do?? Breakfast time! Move over eggs and toast, here comes a bowl full of Bahamian boiled fish.
It’s so simple, but it one of our favorite white fish recipes!
6. Fish en Papillote
This Fish en Papillote recipe may sound fancy, but it may be the easiest dinner ever!
Loaded with fresh veggies and herbs, this Mediterranean inspired fish recipe may be the perfect light summertime meal.
7. Fish and Chips
Now here’s a true classic… Fish and Chips! This crispy combination of beer battered white fish with chips is a favorite in British pubs and the world over.
Serve it with tartar sauce, lemon and, to keep that British authenticity, malt vinegar.
8. Thai Fish Curry
Here’s another one of our go-to white fish recipes, Thai Fish Curry. The fish cooks in a flavorful and fragrant coconut based broth that is bursting with delicious Thai flavor.
This curry is so flavorful and cozy, that it’s hard to believe it’s such a simple recipe.
9. Roasted Fish with Tomatoes, Peppers, and Olives
Roasted Fish with Tomatoes, Peppers, and Olives is like a flavorful party in your mouth.
This wonderful Mediterranean-flavored dish is going to be your new favorite meal, and it’s super delectable and healthy.
10. Roasted Fish with Veggies
Roasted Fish with Veggies is a healthy, simple and delicious dinner recipe.
This dinner is super easy because the fish and veggies like zucchini, bell peppers and chick peas all cook together on one sheet pan. Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
11. Baked Fish with Basil Butter
Baked Fish with Basil butter is a completely restaurant-worthy dish.
Wow, your loved ones by making this elegant, rich, and absolutely succulent dish, which is made using only 5 simple ingredients. It’s so good!
12. Pan-Seared Fish in White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce
Fish in White Wine Tomato Basil Sauce is a super easy and super delicious recipe.
The flavors all blend together beautifully, for a dish worthy of a fancy restaurant, but simple enough for busy weeknights.
13. Pan-Seared White Fish with Lemony Zucchini Noodles
Pan-seared White Fish with Lemony Zucchini Noodles is a delicious complete meal that is also super healthy.
Super easy to make, it’s a must-try halibut dish for everyone.
14. Fish Veracruz
You might not know what Fish Veracruz is – but all you need to know is that it tastes delicious!
It can be made very quick, and it’s a great dinner to serve if you’re wanting something that feels fancy, but isn’t too hard to make.
15. Skillet Tilapia with Creamy Lemon Sauce
Skillet Tilapia with Creamy Lemon Sauce is another easy dinner. The sauce is simple, yet delicious.
This one pairs great with rice, or with a side of veggies for a low carb option.
16. Brown Butter Lime Mahi Mahi
This fresh, healthy and flavorful pan seared Mahi Mahi recipe is served with the most delicious Brown Butter Lime sauce and topped off with some homemade avocado salsa.
It’s perfect in its simplicity, but fancy enough to serve to guests.
17. Goan Fish Curry
Goan Fish Curry is a spicy and tangy curry from the coastal Indian state of Goa. The fish simmers in a beautifully spices tomato and coconut milk based gravy.
It’s great served with a pile of white rice. This is a very unique and flavorful white fish recipe.
18. Fish Sandwich
Who doesn’t love a good old fish sandwich? It might look unassuming at first, but this fish sandwich is so good, it will knock your socks off!
It uses a brioche bun that has a subtle sweetness that complements the fish perfectly, and it’s super yummy.
19. Blackened Fish Tacos
Everyone loves making great recipes into tacos, it’s a popular trend, and these blackened fish tacos won’t disappoint you!
They work well with any kind of white fish, like snapper, grouper, flounder, or cod. That way you can make them with everyone’s favorite fish.
20. Mediterranean Baked Tilapia
This easy baked tilapia recipe is full of great Mediterranean flavors from tomatoes, olives and feta cheese.
It’s a restaurant quality dish that only takes a few minutes of hands on time. YUM.
21. Greek Sheet Pan Cod
Here’s another easy weeknight dinner, Greek Sheet Pan Cod! Marinated cod, potatoes, olives, shallots and gorgeous cherry tomatoes all bake together and get topped with feta cheese.
So good, and so little cleanup!
22. Fish Cakes
These fish cakes are padded using potatoes, and they use garlic, chili, green onions, and thyme to make fantastic fish cakes that are totally full of flavor.
Great weeknight dinner contender!
Ceviche is a famous Latin appetizer of raw fish soaked in citrus juice. This recipe also features onions, tomatoes, avocado and cilantro.
Make sure you have plenty of tortillas for scooping!
24. Baked Lemon Garlic Halibut
For a lighter and healthier meal, give this Baked Lemon Garlic Halibut a sure try.
The easiest lemon garlic marinade plays a key role in this dish. Just bake to flaky perfection, and you have a super delicious and healthy meal.
25. Sheet Pan Garlic Butter Tilapia
This Sheet Pan Garlic Butter Tilapia is a great tasting meal that really saves on the dishwashing. The garlic butter sauce is divine and adds such great flavors to the fish and veggies.
It’s so good!
26. Grilled Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa
Grilled Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa is a beautiful summer fish recipe that is quick and easy to make on the grill.
The homemade mango salsa is sweet and fresh, making a perfect pairing for the grilled Mahi Mahi. It’s going to be one of your favorites during grilling season.
27. Fish in Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Here’s an easy white fish recipe with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce. The sauce is out of this world delicious, and it goes great atop serve this tender, flaky.
You will surely love this 30 minute recipe.
Indulge in the robust flavors of the sea with Cioppino – an Italian-American stew crafted with a delectable assortment of fresh seafood simmered in a rich tomato and wine broth.
It’s one of our favorite white fish recipes!
29. Cheesy Potatoes and Fish Casserole
This This Cheesy Potatoes and Fish Casserole is a hearty meal fit for a feast.
The whole family will love the creamy cheesiness of this one. It’s also a great make ahead meal prep option.
30. Flounder with Vegetables
This Flounder with the vegetable is quick, easy and all made in a single pan. It is almost a meal in itself.
Loaded with plenty of veggie power and lean protein, it’s great with a starchy side or alone as a low carb dinner.
31. Baked Fish Sticks
Crisp, tender, and packed with flavor, these oven-baked fish sticks are a family-favorite.
Coated in breadcrumbs and scrumptious seasoning, they’re an irresistibly delicious dish that everyone will love.
32. Spicy Fish Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Slaw
These Spicy Fish Taco Bowls with Cilantro Lime Slaw are just too good to be true!
Packed with a medley of flavors, this one-bowl Mexican inspired meal deserves a spot in your rotation!
33. White Fish Pot Pie
Indulge in these tender and savory Fish Pot Pies, filled with a creamy sauce and crowned with a flaky pastry disk for the perfect golden finish. Easy to prepare and irresistible to savor.
Comfort food at its best!
34. New England Fish Chowder
This fish chowder is a great winter warmer. Chunks of white fish and potatoes in a delicious creamy base loaded with bacon.
Great with some nice crusty bread.
35. Pan Seared Fish with Pomegranate Salsa
We’re wrapping up our list of white fish recipes with a unique dish bursting with layers of flavor.
Pan Seared Fish with Pomegranate Salsa is an absolutely delightful dinner that you can have on the table in about 20 minutes. Give it a try!
Tips for Buying and Cooking White Fish
- Freshness is Key: The freshest fish will have clear eyes, firm flesh, and a clean smell. Avoid fish with a strong fishy or ammonia-like odor, as this is a sign of spoilage.
- Sustainability Matter: Look for fish that are caught or farmed in environmentally friendly ways. The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program is a good resource for checking the sustainability of different fish species.
- Understand Varieties: Different white fish varieties have slightly different flavors and textures. Cod, haddock, and pollock have a mild flavor and flaky texture, while halibut and sea bass are firmer and meatier.
- Avoid Overcooking: White fish is delicate and cooks quickly, so be careful not to overcook it. The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork and appears opaque all the way through.
- Skin Side Down: If your fillets have skin, start with the skin side down whether you’re cooking in a pan or on the grill. This allows the skin to get crispy and makes it easier to flip the fish without it falling apart.
- Rest After Cooking: Allow the fish to rest for a few minutes after cooking. This will help to redistribute the juices and make the fish more flavorful and moist.
White fish is one of the most versatile ingredients you can cook with. We love it in so many different ways, from fried to baked to curried, it’s hard to pick one favorite.
We hope that this collection of easy White Fish Recipes inspires you as much as it does us. Let us know which are your favorites!
Save or pin this collection of great recipes so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
- 1 pound white fish
- 1.5 cups flour
- 12oz beer
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- oil, for frying
- 1 avocado
- pico de gallo
- chipotle mayo
- Prepare pico de gallo and chipotle mayo.
- Mix together flour, beer, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Cut the fish into strips, about one inch by two inches. Dry the strips very well with a paper towel.
- Add about 1/2 inch of oil to a skillet and preheat over medium high heat. Heat until instant read thermometer reads 350 degrees.
- Dredge the the fish in batter, then fry in preheated oil for about 2-3 minutes per side, till nicely golden brown, then remove to a paper towel lined plate. Work in batches, do not overcrowd pan.
- Load up tortillas with fish, diced avocado, pico de gallo and a drizzle of chipotle mayo.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.