This Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe is one of our favorite summertime cookout meals!
Not only is the flavor combination spot on, but it only takes about 20 minutes. And once they’re cooked, these sausage and peppers go with a huge variety of sides.
So fire up that grill, and get ready for a meal the whole family will love to dig into!
Sausage and Peppers is a classic Italian-American dish, usually cooked in a skillet. But when summertime rolls around, we love the combo on the grill.
Those smoky charred flavors add so much to the already amazing pairing.
Why We LOVE Grilled Sausage and Peppers
- Smoky Goodness: Grilling these sausages infuses them with a distinctive smoky aroma that you simply can’t replicate with any other cooking method. When those rich, meaty flavors meld with the charred sweetness of bell peppers, it’s nothing short of culinary magic.
- Simplicity at Its Best: With just a handful of ingredients and a total time of 20 minutes, this recipe is the epitome of simplicity. But don’t let that fool you, every bite bursts with flavor.
- A Feast for the Eyes: The vibrant colors of red and green bell peppers along with the golden-brown sausages create a dish that’s as colorful as it is tasty.
- Versatility: Grilled Sausage and Peppers can be served in a huge variety of ways. We’ll give you a bunch of ideas later in the post.
- Italian sausage – We like hot, but sweet is good too if that’s your preference. You can also use chicken or turkey Italian sausage for a lighter meal.
- Bell peppers – Any colors work well, but we like the combo of red and green. Red are the sweetest, and green the most savory, so it gives a nice variety of flavors.
Easy Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Preheat grill over medium high heat (around 450°F).
Slice the peppers in half from top to bottom, and remove the stems and seeds. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
Place the sausage and peppers on the grill, without overcrowding. Close the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Flip the sausage and peppers, close the lid again, and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Peppers are done when they are tender and have nice char marks. Sausage is done when internal temperature reaches 165°F.
What to Serve with Grilled Sausage and Peppers
The most common ways to serve sausage and peppers is in a sub, or with pasta. That being said, there are so many other ways we love them.
If you’re having a cookout, you can’t go wrong with Coleslaw, Macaroni Salad, Grilled Zucchini, or Pasta Salad. For a Italian-Southern fusion, pair it with Fried Green Tomatoes. It’s a great combination!
Some other ways to serve sausage and peppers, especially leftovers, is on pizza, in scrambled eggs or an omelet, or even in tacos (yes, we’ve tried it and it’s great!)
- Choose Quality Sausage: Opt for high-quality, fresh Italian sausages. Whether you prefer sweet or spicy, the better the quality, the more flavorful the outcome.
- Variety of Peppers: Use different colored peppers for a mix of flavors.
- Char is Key: Don’t be afraid of getting a nice char on your peppers and sausages. It adds a great depth of flavor.
- Resting Time: After grilling, allow the sausages to rest for a few minutes before slicing or serving. This ensures the juices redistribute and remain inside the sausage, keeping it juicy.
- Use Olive Oil Sparingly: While it’s tempting to use a lot of oil, be moderate. Too much oil can cause flare-ups on the grill which can quickly burn your food.
- Safety First: Ensure the sausages are cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165°F.
Leftovers and Storage
Leftover grilled sausage and peppers refrigerate well in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Make an extra big batch for meal prep, and enjoy them different ways throughout the week.
Properly stored, they can last up to 2 months in the freezer. Place fully cooled leftovers in a freezer safe zip top bag and squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Reheat in the microwave or in an oven preheated to 350°F.
Give your next cookout an Italian-American theme with these grilled Italian sausage and peppers. The only question now is, which way are you going to serve them?
Pin or bookmark this great recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new easy recipes for you!
Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 20oz Italian sausage links
- 4 bell peppers (we use 2 red and 2 green)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill over medium high heat (around 450°F).
- Slice the peppers in half from top to bottom, and remove the stems and seeds. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the sausage and peppers on the grill, without overcrowding. Close the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the sausage and peppers, close the lid again, and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Peppers are done when they are tender and have nice char marks. Sausage is done when internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Allow sausages to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 580Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 35gCholesterol 81mgSodium 1201mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 28g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.