Tabbouleh getting a starry make over… That’s Jennifer Aniston Salad for you! A taste of Hollywood’s healthy living. Who wouldn’t want to dine like a Hollywood star?
Inspired by the famous Jennifer Aniston salad myth, this bulgur-based salad is a delightful combination of taste and wellness.
It’s not the exact salad Jennifer ate, but somehow it’s gone viral as “her salad”… thanks to modern day social media.
So what is Jennifer Aniston Salad? It’s a salad with lots of flavors and textures that work beautifully together. Nutty and chewy bulgur wheat forms the base, with a refreshing crunch of cucumbers and the vibrant freshness of parsley and mint.
Then chickpeas, pistachios and feta cheese work together to take it to next level, along with a very simple salad dressing. The end result? A salad as glamorous as it is wholesome.
We make Tabbouleh all the time for our Shawarmas and Gyros. It’s a great Middle Eastern salad with a herby tones. So we were tickled to try the new additions like pistachios, feta and chickpeas to this Jen approved take on tabbouleh.
We think that it works really, really well, and is worth all the hype it’s gotten over last year or so.
So What is Jennifer Aniston Salad and All the Hype?
So, what’s the deal with the Jennifer Aniston salad? Well, it’s rumored that, back in her ‘Friends’ days, Jennifer Aniston ate this salad every day of for 10 years while she was on set.
Her co-star, Courtney Cox, shared in interviews that Aniston ate the same salad every day while filming the show, which aired from 1994 to 2004. But that’s not the bulgur based salad!!!
The true salad that she ate on set consisted of shredded lettuce, chicken, egg whites, chickpeas, bacon, and a basic vinaigrette, she explained. Occasionally, Aniston would add pecorino cheese from a nearby Italian restaurant to top off the Cobb-style salad.
The bulgur salad with herbs, chickpeas, feta and pistachios is the one she shared while doing an Instagram takeover for the Living Proof brand, saying it was her “perfect salad”. Thanks to social media and lots of food enthusiasts, in no time this bulgur based salad started going viral as “Jennifer Aniston Salad”, which she supposedly ate for 10 years… 🙂
People got all excited about it because it was healthy, simple, and hey, if it’s good enough for Jennifer Aniston, it’s good enough for us, right?
The bulgur wheat version is not something the star confirmed eating all those years, but became popular due to media misrepresentation. The fascination with this salad reflects a broader cultural interest in celebrity diets and lifestyles.
Whatever the hype and how it became famous, we are glad to say we tried it, and approve of it big time!
Here is Why Jennifer Aniston Salad Went Viral
- Celebrity Connection: Associating a meal with a beloved celebrity like Jennifer Aniston naturally piques interest, as people enjoy feeling connected to stars. A great example is Gigi Hadid Pasta, one of the most popular recipes on GypsyPlate.
- Simplicity and Healthfulness: This salad is a mix of simple, healthy ingredients that work well together.
- Media Fascination: The story of Jennifer Aniston eating the same salad every day for ten years created a sense of intrigue and fascination.
- Versatility and Adaptation: Different interpretations of the salad allow for culinary creativity and personalization. Fans could recreate or adapt the salad to their tastes and preferences.
- A Touch of Glamour: Having a dish that’s connected to Hollywood adds a touch of glamour to an otherwise ordinary meal.
Viral Jennifer Aniston Salad Ingredients
- Bulgur Wheat – Nutty and chewy, bulgur wheat forms the hearty base of this salad, adding a pleasing texture and fiber. You can sub bulgur wheat with quinoa or farro if that’s what’s available.
- Cucumbers – For a refreshing crunch! We like to use English cucumbers, or the ones with less seeds.
- Parsley and Mint – Fresh herbs that add a burst of flavor and vibrant color.
- Red Onion – A hint of sharpness and a splash of color, diced small.
- Chickpeas – For protein and a satisfying bite, these little legumes are perfect. We love canned GOYA chickpeas.
- Pistachios – Pistachios bring in a unique crunch and salty, nutty flavor.
- Feta Cheese – Crumbled and tangy, feta adds richness and depth.
- Dressing – A zesty simple mix of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Jennifer Aniston Salad Recipe
Here’s how you can make this super simple Jennifer Aniston-Inspired Bulgur Salad at home.
1. Cook the Bulgur Wheat: In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup bulgur wheat and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the bulgur is tender. Drain any excess water and let it cool.
2. Prepare the Vegetables: While the bulgur is cooling, dice the cucumber, chop the parsley and mint, and dice the red onion.
3. Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until well combined.
4. Assemble the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooled bulgur wheat, cucumber, parsley, mint, red onion, chickpeas, feta cheese, and pistachios.
5. Dress the Salad: Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, tossing well to ensure everything is evenly coated.
6. Serve and Enjoy: Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.
Tips for BEST Jen-Inspired Salad
- Use Fresh Herbs: Fresh parsley and mint will give the salad a vibrant flavor. Don’t substitute with dried herbs.
- Balance the Dressing: Taste and adjust the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in the dressing to suit your palate.
- Chill Before Serving: If you have time, chilling the salad for 30 minutes to an hour before serving will allow the flavors to meld beautifully.
- Choose Good-Quality Feta: A nice block of feta crumbled by hand tends to be creamier and tangier than pre-crumbled feta.
- Don’t Overcook the Bulgur: Keep an eye on the bulgur wheat while it’s cooking to ensure it’s tender but still has a slight bite. It shouldn’t be mushy.
- Customize to Your Taste: Feel free to add or swap ingredients like cherry tomatoes, olives, or other herbs to match your taste preferences.
1. Different Grains: Swap bulgur with quinoa, couscous, farrow or brown rice for a different texture and flavor.
2. Cheese Swap: Swap feta cheese for crumbled goat cheese, shaved Parmesan or any other cheese of your choice.
3. More Veggies: Include bell peppers, radishes, carrots, cherry tomatoes, corn, edamame, green peas, or avocado for different flavors and textures.
4. Protein Options: Add grilled chicken, shrimp, tofu, or salmon to turn the salad into a more substantial meal.
5. Add Fruits: Sliced grapes, diced apples, dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds can add a sweet touch and vibrant color.
6. Play with Nuts: Instead of pistachios, try almonds, walnuts, or sunflower seeds for varied crunch.
7. Dressing Alternatives: Experiment with different dressings and vinaigrettes for a new flavor profile.
What to Serve With Jennifer Aniston Salad
Jen salad is great on its own as a lunch or light meatless dinner idea. That being said, we also enjoy it as a side dish.
Leftovers and Storing
This salad is great as leftovers, and tastes even better next day. Because it doesn’t have leafy greens, it doesn’t wilt or lose its texture.
Go ahead and make a huge batch as your big salad meal prep. To store, place leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Inspired by an icon and infused with flavors, this salad is very unique. Whether you’re a longtime fan of Jennifer Aniston, or just someone who appreciates wholesome, delicious food, this salad offers something special.
So why not take a culinary cue from a Hollywood star and make this delightful salad part of your repertoire? Happy cooking, and here’s to enjoying a meal that’s as glamorous as it is nutritious!
Jennifer Aniston Salad, in our Gypsy Bowl… enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, diced small
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pistachios, crushed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook the Bulgur Wheat: In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the bulgur wheat and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the bulgur is tender. Drain any excess water and let it cool.
- Prepare the Vegetables: While the bulgur is cooling, dice the cucumber, chop the parsley and mint, and dice the red onion.
- Make the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Assemble the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the cooled bulgur wheat, cucumber, parsley, mint, red onion, chickpeas, feta cheese, and pistachios.
- Dress the Salad: Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, tossing well to ensure everything is evenly coated.
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 8mgSodium 409mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 13gProtein 8g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.