This easy Salmon Burgers recipe is a winner! These burgers are not only healthy, but they’re also unbelievably delicious.
They’re great for a weeknight dinner, or to impress guests. And you can easily prep them ahead of time, so all they need is a quick sear or grill and dinner is on the table in no time.
And, to make them extra delicious, we’ve added on secret ingredient…
Salmon is one of our favorite things to cook with. It’s so tasty, and can take on a variety of themes, like our tropical Salmon with Mango Salsa, comforting Salmon Pasta, or the sweet and spicy Firecracker Salmon.
This time, we’re giving a healthy twist to a summertime classic, burgers!
Why We LOVE Salmon Burgers
- Tasty alternative to traditional burgers: With their unique flavor, salmon burgers are a delicious alternative to the traditional beef burger, adding an exciting twist to your regular menu.
- Nutritious: Salmon is a fantastic source lean protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and a variety of vitamins and minerals.
- Easy and quick to prepare: Salmon burgers are a simple and quick meal option. They’re perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
- Versatile: The flavors in a salmon burger can be easily customized with different spices, sauces, and toppings, so you can easily make them your own.
- Perfect for grilling season: Salmon burgers are a crowd-pleaser during the grilling season. That being said, they’re just as good cooked on stovetop!
- Salmon – We prefer wild caught.
- Bacon – Our secret ingredient! Just a little diced bacon adds flavor and juiciness.
- Binders – Mayonnaise and panko.
- For extra flavor – Garlic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
Salmon Burger Recipe
1. Process the salmon: You can either cut the salmon up manually, or use a food processor. In a food processor, pulse 10-15 times, until you have a roughly chopped consistency. Or slice it to 1/4-1/8 inch pieces.
2. Mix and form patties. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed, then form into three equal sized patties. If time allows, refrigerate for 1 hour before cooking.
3. Cook: Today we are cooking them on stovetop. Heat an oiled cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Cook the salmon burgers for 4-5 minutes per side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 145°F.
To Grill: Heat the grill on medium high heat. Cook the burgers 3-4 minutes per side, again to an internal temperature of 145°F.
4. Serve: Place salmon burgers in warmed hamburger buns and load them up with your favorite toppings.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Use the right salmon: For the best results, use fresh, high-quality salmon. If that’s not available, frozen salmon that’s been properly thawed works too. Wild-caught salmon has a more robust flavor compared to farmed salmon.
- Don’t over process the salmon: To create a nice texture, avoid over-processing the salmon in the food processor. You want it a little chunky, not paste-like.
- Season generously: Don’t be shy with your seasonings, and feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices.
- Prep ahead of time: If you have time, let the patties rest in the refrigerator for an hour before cooking. This helps them hold together better during cooking.
- Flip carefully: Salmon burgers are more delicate than traditional beef burgers, so be gentle. This is especially true if you didn’t have time to refrigerate them.
- Cook to the right internal temperature: Salmon should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145°F. Test with an instant read thermometer.
Can I Use Cooked or Canned Salmon?
Cooked or canned salmon lack the moisture to hold together using this recipe. They require more binders.
If that is what you have on hand, we have an equally delicious recipe for Salmon Patties.
Topping Ideas and Variations
Today we’re keeping it simple with arugula, tomato and Sriracha Mayo.
Some people are averse to combining cheese and seafood, but if you choose the right variety, cheese goes great on these burgers. Our top picks are mozzarella, provolone, brie and smoked gouda.
Play around with different topping and themes, these burgers are quite versatile. Try sliced avocado and Pico de Gallo. Or how about some sautéed mushrooms and caramelized onions? All good.
Leftovers and Storage
We prefer to eat our seafood the same day that it is cooked. That being said, you can refrigerate leftover salmon burgers in an airtight container for 1-2 days. Reheat in the microwave, or in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat.
To freeze, let them cook completely, then wrap individually with cling wrap and place them in a freezer safe zip top bag. Freeze for up to 2 months, then thaw overnight in the fridge.
Try something new with your salmon, and make these amazing burgers. They may be the most fun salmon recipe you ever make!
We have plenty more amazing dishes from all around the world coming your way. If you haven’t already, be sure to subscribe to our mailing list so you’re always in the loop.
Salmon Burger, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1lb fresh salmon
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- hamburger buns
- sriracha mayo
- In a food processor, pulse 10-15 times, until you have a roughly chopped consistency. Alternately, slice it to 1/4-1/8 inch pieces.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed, then form into three equal sized patties. If time allows, refrigerate for 1 hour before cooking.
- Cook according to your preferred method:
Stovetop: Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Cook the salmon burgers for 4-5 minutes per side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 145°F.
Grill: Heat the grill on medium high heat. Cook the burgers 3-4 minutes per side, again to an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Serve immediately on warmed hamburger buns along with arugula, tomato slices and sriracha mayo (or you favorite toppings).
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 471Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 105mgSodium 847mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 40g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.