Pesto eggs have been taking the internet by storm, so we decided to give them a try. Why not? We love pesto and we love eggs!
This is a simple, but incredibly tasty, breakfast that whips up in no time, if you already have some pesto handy.
Give this novel breakfast a try, maybe you’ll love it as much as we do!
There are many unique recipes floating around the corners of the internet, but it seems only a small few of them are destined for fame.
Now comes these pesto eggs…
What Are Pesto Eggs?
The concept is about as easy as you can get. Heat up some pesto in a skillet, add the eggs and cook them sunny side up in the pesto.
From there, you can serve them a variety of ways.
The original version that went viral on Tiktok had the eggs served over toast spread with goat cheese. That’s what we’re doing today.
If you opt for store bought pesto, we recommend the fresh pesto from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. It’s definately better than jarred.
For best flavors, try making your own homemade. It only takes about five minutes, and can be made days in advance.
All you need is fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmigiano cheese, extra virgin olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
See my homemade pesto sauce post for exact measurements and details.
This is another one where you can either go the store bought or homemade route.
We love our easy no knead bread with this.
If using store bought, go with sourdough, ciabatta, or another good quality crusty bread.
How to Make Pesto Eggs
Heat the pesto in a skillet over medium heat. You don’t want the pesto to be too thinly spread. For these amounts, a 9” skillet worked perfect.
Crack the eggs into the pesto. Cook uncovered until the whites just set. (If you prefer firmer yolks, you can cook longer). Season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
While the eggs are cooking, toast the bread. Spread with goat cheese, then top with pesto sauce and eggs. Enjoy!
- Try the same recipe with sundried tomato pesto.
- You can scramble the eggs before adding them to the pesto sauce. Continue tossing while they cook.
- Replace the goat cheese with feta or mozzarella.
- Instead of bread, have the pesto and eggs over rice, noodles, or anything else you can think of!
- Try this combo: bread + goat cheese + cherry tomato confit + pesto eggs
Cook these tasty pesto eggs for breakfast, you’ll see why they’ve set the internet on fire. We know that we’ll be cooking them again.
Save or pin this recipe so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to GypsyPlate, we’re always cooking up new recipes for you!
Pesto Eggs, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 2oz goat cheese
- Heat pesto in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- When the pesto is warm, spread into an eve layer and crack the eggs into the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook the eggs for the whites set. (if you prefer harder yolks, you can cook a few additional minutes)
- While eggs are cooking, toast the bread.
- Spread goat cheese on bread, then top with pesto and eggs.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.