A bowlful of this Spicy Sausage Pasta is what cozy nights are meant to be. Adding a crusty piece of bread with a glass of red is just an extra bonus.
Make this spicy sausage pasta when your heart craves for something easy, yet tantalizing.
This easy pasta dish is perfect for a quick dinner for busy weeknights, but equally wow worthy if you’re looking for an easy pasta dinner for your company get together…
We love pasta meals, as they are very comforting and loved by the whole family. From Jambalaya Pasta to Pasta Alla Norma to Gigi Hadid Pasta, and so many more, we have some great pasta meals on GypsyPlate.
Check out our Pasta Recipe Collection for easy dinner inspirations. So many varieties and flavor.
You Will Love this Sausage Pasta Dinner, cos
- It has a little heat when you use spicy Italian sausage, which is so irresistible. For the heat sensitive, you can simply replace the spicy sausage with mild, or other sausages of your choice. You can make it as hot or spicy as YOU want.
- It’s a relatively very quick meal, making it perfect to cook in no time on busy nights.
- You can feed large crowds, simply double the recipe.
- There are a few great variations that can make this recipe even more delectable. We will tell you all…
Spicy Sausage Pasta Ingredients
- Sausage – We used Spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed. Alternately, you can use ground Italian sausage, or any sausage of your choice. Try chicken or turkey sausages for a lighter meal.
- Vegetables – Bell pepper, mushrooms, crushed canned tomatoes.
- Herbs – Dried oregano, dried basil, fresh basil (optional).
- Flavor Enhancers – Garlic, red wine, red chili flakes, salt, sugar.
- Pasta – We used rigatoni, as we love big pasta shapes in this dish. Other pasta shapes like penne, shells, bow-ties, ziti, or rotini will work well, too.
- Parmesan cheese – For garnish.
- Extra virgin olive oil – A good dose.
How to Make Spicy Sausage Pasta
1. Cook veggies and brown the sausage: Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat and sauté bell pepper and mushrooms for 8-10 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side and add the sausage to the middle of the pan. Cook it while breaking it into chunks. Once the sausage starts browning up a bit, mix it in well with veggies.
2. Make the spicy sausage sauce: Add in garlic and red chili flakes, and continue cooking till the meat is brown all over. Add in crushed tomatoes, along with dried oregano, dried basil, salt and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in wine and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Cook pasta: Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Once pasta is cooked, drain in a colander.
4. Finish the pasta: Add the pasta to the sauce and stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust the sauce for salt, sugar or chili flakes according to taste. Garnish it with fresh basil strips and parmesan cheese shavings.
Spicy Sausage Pasta Variations
- Make it creamier: Add 1/2 cup of cream or half & half to the sauce at the end of simmering, and cook for an additional few minutes before adding the pasta.
- Make to cheesier: Add in 1/2 cup of cream cheese for more cheesy flavor. We used a little parmesan cheese in the end just as garnish, but you can increase the amount for a cheesier version.
- You can make it into a casserole: Top the final dish with mozzarella cheese, then bake it in the oven till the cheese melts.
- Add other veggies: Use spinach, grated carrots, peas, asparagus, or black olives for added veggie power, and to bulk up the dish.
The next time you’re looking for some pasta dinner ideas, give this spicy sausage pasta a try. You will be amazed at the delicious flavors that can be possible in just a few minutes.
Make a huge batch for large crowds, or simply use it as meal prep for a few days, as it refrigerates well.
Let us know how you like the heat from those spicy Italian sausages, or if you opted for a milder variety. We always like to know what you think of all these beautiful flavors.
Spicy Sausage Pasta, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6oz mushrooms, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20oz spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 28oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 - 1 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp dried basil
- 1.5 tsp sugar or to taste
- salt to taste
- 8oz rigatoni, or pasta of your choice
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat, and sauté bell pepper and mushrooms for 8-10 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to the edges, and add sausage in the middle of the pan. Cook the sausage while breaking it into chunks.
- Once the sausage starts browning up a bit, mix it in well with the peppers and mushrooms.
- Add in garlic and red chili flakes, and continue cooking till the meat is brown all over.
- Add in crushed tomatoes along with dried oregano, dried basil, salt and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in wine and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Once pasta is cooked, drain and add the pasta to the sauce. Stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust the sauce for salt, sugar or chili flakes according to taste.
- Garnish it with fresh basil strips and parmesan cheese shavings.
Welcome to GypsyPlate! I'm Alpana, former wordwide tour manager and professional caterer, now full time blogger. I love exploring cuisines from around the world, and my recipes have been featured on sites such as MSN, Parade, Brit + Co, CNET and AOL. You can explore my entire collection of sortable recipes in my Recipe Index or learn more about me here.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.