There is plenty to love about flatbreads. They’re one of the quickest meals on planet Earth, they are super delish, and they come out good looking, too. They are perfect any time meals, and act as superb, easy appetizers for your company.
This Mediterranean Flatbread is loaded with all the Mediterranean staples, full of delicious flavors in every single bite.
Whip up this 20 minute flatbread pizza in your kitchen on busy nights, when those pizza cravings hit hard.
No more rolling pizza dough… No more calling the pizza guy (most of the time, take out pizzas are a soggy mess anyway)… Try this quick bake flatbread pizza using some short cuts.
Why not? Life needs to be easy, and great looking delicious food doesn’t have to equate to slaving in the kitchen for hours.
We absolutely love making flatbreads using store-bought, pre-made flatbreads, or even naan breads. Our Steak Gorgonzola Flatbread and Smoked Salmon Flatbread are things of beauty. They are a super hit online, and got us hooked on flatbread recipes.
Mediterranean Flatbread is for Dinner Tonight. Why?
- As mentioned before, it’s super easy and super quick. Max 20 minutes quick. Why? You are being smart and using pre-made flatbread.
- You can play with toppings and customize it with whatever you like, or is available. There are endless topping ideas that you can create with a Mediterranean theme.
- It’s loaded with fresh, delicious Mediterranean flavors. And it’s a healthy and easy meatless recipe.
- This could be your quick lunch or dinner, or appetizer for your next get together.
- This flatbread recipe is perfect for all ages, especially great for collage kids looking for something easy and quick to cook.
What is Flatbread?
Flatbread is a bread made with flour and salt, along with water, milk, yogurt, or other liquid. It is then rolled into flattened dough.
Many flatbreads are unleavened, although some are leavened, such as pizza and pita bread.
Flatbreads range from below one millimeter to a few centimeters thick, so that they can easily be eaten without being sliced. Pizza flatbreads, pita bread, and even naan bread make an excellent base for any kind of pizza you have in mind.
Mediterranean Flatbread Ingredients
- Flatbread – Use any type or shape of flatbread that you like. You can easily find them in most of grocery stores. You can also buy a pizza crust, naan bread, or even pita bread as a base for this recipe. We are giving you the easy options, but saying that you can make your favorite pizza dough as a base and make Mediterranean pizza from scratch, too.
- Flavored Oil – Extra virgin olive oil, chopped parsley, finely chopped garlic and red chili flakes.
- Toppings – Today we are using multi-colored cherry tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, pine nuts and feta cheese.
Mediterranean Flatbread Recipe
1. Make the flavored oil: Mix extra virgin olive oil with chopped parsley, finely chopped garlic and red chili flakes.
2. Prepare the flatbread: Brush the flavored olive oil all over the flatbread. Arrange all the toppings on top.
3. Bake the flatbread: Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the flatbread for 8-10 minutes, or until it is golden brown and the toppings are cooked. Serve immediately.
Mediterranean Flatbread Variations (Guide for Flatbread Toppings)
- Use Pesto Sauce, Hummus, Moutabal, or Tzatziki as a spread on the flatbread before arranging the toppings. A base of on of these Mediterranean sauces is an excellent flavor booster.
- Other toppings that go great on this Mediterranean themed pizza are roasted bell peppers, red onion, roasted eggplant, cucumber, mushrooms, shredded chicken, prosciutto, smoked salmon, greens like arugula or spinach, and fresh basil.
- We baked this flatbread along with the toppings. But if you want a fresher take on the same pizza, simply crisp up the flatbread brushed with olive oil, without toppings, until crisp and starting to brown up. Top it with fresh toppings just before serving.
Leftovers and Storage
You can store any leftover flatbread for up to 3 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator. To avoid the flatbread getting soggy, store the toppings separately from the bread, and assemble and warm up the flatbread immediately before serving.
Reheat any leftovers in a microwave, oven or toaster oven until warmed through.
Busy night? Family to feed? No problemo! Bake this Mediterranean flatbread in just a few minutes. Keep it easy and simple, yet delicious.
And don’t forget that well deserved glass of red. Yes, it goes perfectly with this gorgeous looking thing, Mediterranean Flatbread. Cos life needs some good relaxing time…
Mediterranean Flatbread, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1 store bought flatbread or Pizza shell
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 4-5 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 Tbsp feta, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine extra virgin olive oil, parsley, garlic and red chili flakes. Brush a little of this olive oil mixture all over the flatbread.
- Combine chopped cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives with the remaining olive oil mixture and mix well till the toppings are coated well with olive oil.
- Spread this prepared topping all over the flatbread. Top it with crumbled feta and pine nuts.
- Bake the flatbread for 8-10 minutes, or until it is golden brown and the toppings are cooked. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 296Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 9mgSodium 474mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 8g
Nutrition information calculated by Nutritionix.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.