We’ve just taken Shrimp and Grits to a whole new level… we’ve made it Surf and Turf! Now that’s some fancy comfort food!
It combines our popular garlic butter steak bites with plump sautéed shrimp, all atop a bed of creamy blue cheese grits.
This is a meal quick enough for a busy weeknight, but has that WOW factor for special occasions!
This is Jason filling in today. I’ve written a few posts in the past, but this one is special because I am now a full time member of GypsyPlate! (I think that means I have to do the housework now)
This time we’ve added tender steak bites, and cooked the shrimp like a scampi. The combination is amazing!
Ingredients for Surf and Turf Shrimp and Grits
- Red chili flakes
- Blue Cheese
What is the best cut of steak to use?
We used rib eye because we happened to have a small one in the freezer. It works perfectly. Other options are New York strip, tenderloin or sirloin.
It should be cut into bite sized chunks.
How to cook this great dish
Cook the grits according to the directions on the package. We prefer slow cook grits, which take about 20 minutes. Quick cook grits take about 5 minutes. Your choice. Once done, stir in the blue cheese.
The rest of the meal comes together really fast.
First, get your skillet really hot. I recommend cast iron by the way, but you can use non-stick. Once ready, add a little oil then add in the steak bites. Sear them for 2 minutes undisturbed, give them a stir, cook 2 more minutes then remove to a plate.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add butter to the same pan. Once melted, add garlic, parsley and red chili flakes and cook for about a minute, stirring.
Add in the shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until they turn pink. Remove from heat, stir in the steak bites.
Serve immediately over blue cheese grits. That was easy!
What to serve with these Steak Shrimp and Grits
So, how’s that for a tasty start to the year? And that’s not all we have up our sleeves when it comes to shrimp and grits. You’re going to be seeing a lot more creative variations coming to GypsyPlate in the not too distant future.
In the meantime, we hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Be sure to pin or bookmark it so you always know where to find it. And be sure to subscribe to our mailing list, we’re always cooking up new recipes…
Surf and Turf Shrimp and Grits, on our Gypsy Plate… enjoy!
- 1.5 cups grits
- 6oz blue cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4lb steak, cut into bite sized chunks
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 3/4lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook the grits according to the directions on the package. Once done, stir in the blue cheese.
- Heat cast iron on non-stick skillet over high heat. Once hot, add olive oil then add in the steak bites. Sear them for 2 minutes undisturbed, give them a stir, cook 2 more minutes then remove to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add butter to the same pan. Once melted, add garlic and parsley and cook for about a minute, stirring.
- Add in the shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until they turn pink. Remove skillet from heat, stir in the steak bites and serve immediately over blue cheese grits.
Never miss a recipe!
Join the GypsyPlate mailing list and get easy dinner recipes right in your mailbox. From homestyle comfort food to exotic dishes from around the world.